Advice on moving basement toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

fplexico

Reaction score
I am finishing a bathroom in our basement and need to move the toilet drain so that it is 12 inches from the wall and has at least 15 inches on each side. This means that I'll need to move it out from the wall another 4.5 inches and between 4.5 and 9.5 inches over.

The current pipe goes down 10 inches and turns 90 degrees. Would it work for me to cut the pipe on the vertical side right above the 90 degree bend and put a 45 there pointed in the right direction and then connect a very short piece of pipe and then another 45 bend to bring it back to vertical at the new position.

Or should I do this a different way?

IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If at all possible, put fitting on the horizontal.
You may be able to put a 45 there, and then a 90 going up.
It looks like you have ABS pipe there.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Cut the pipe before the 90 deg fitting - get a piece of 4 " no hub CI (can by cut with a grider) and 3- no hub couplings and a LONG No hub Sweep and a piece of CI between the space there the old ell was and the new sweep is being installed and a CI piece on the vertical get a cast Iron Quick set floor flange .

This way only one fitting is required (Sweep) and in case you need to snake the line its a lot easier

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks