Replacing It All-Assistance Requested(Test Results)

Users who are viewing this thread

espi118

Reaction score
Moved into the house about 3 years ago. The water has always been an issue but we have just dealt with it. Finally decided it was time to do something about it.

Well - 4-13-95
94 ft
4 inch PVC
Submersible 1/2 HP pump
Family Size: 4

We have small bits of material that clog up the shower heads and faucets. I initially called a few well guys to get their opinion because I thought that the well was pumping sand. Had 4 come out in total, 2 said I needed new well and 2 said its not sand. Last guy, which was by far the most knowledgeable, said that it was iron that was causing the buildup. Now that I have the test results and see my iron levels along with manganese, I think he is exactly right. When he was at the house, we ran water from a few areas inside the house along with an outside spigot with a hose into the yard. Let the water run for over 30 minutes. He said if the well was pumping sand, it would be coming out pretty plentiful by that time, but there was nothing but clear water.

So we go to the water closet. The pressure tank is definitely from '95 and I think the softener might be as well. I do think that water heater has been replaced sometime in the last 20 years. Not a whole lot of room and it looks like the PO tried to do a bunch on his own.

ZgLwU3h.jpg

bdjgmRZ.jpg

RIJ9a6a.jpg

I want to replace it all, along with the plumbing. I have already purchased a Rheem Marathon plastic water heater and I am going to get a 35 gallon pressure tank from the well guy. I also plan on getting a RO system installed under the kitchen sink.

Now this is where I need some advice. I have been doing a good amount of research, but there are so many options to filter out so many things, I just need someone to point me in the right direction. My test results are only preliminary, should have complete in a few days, but I think you can get a good idea.

-Whole house filter? Types?
-Spin down filter?
-Water softener? Fleck?
-UV Filter?
-Bleach well?
-Flush internal plumbing?
-Any other suggestions?

hgtDSUi.png

LVAk5Rx.png

Reach4

Reaction score
-Whole house filter? Types?
-Spin down filter?
-Water softener? Fleck?
-UV Filter?
-Bleach well?
-Flush internal plumbing?
-Any other suggestions?
Wow. That is the most comprehensive post asking for such info that I have seen. I won't try them all now.

Fleck is good. I am replacing my old old Autotrol with a Fleck.

Flush internal plumbing? Flush the WH. Sanitize everything. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up.

In my opinion, no UV.

Biggest suggestion is to get a Katalox Light (KL) backwashing iron+other stuff filter. It will take more backwashing GPM than a softener. Can your pump deliver 10 or more GPM? Probably not, or else a 35 GPM pressure tank would be undersized. 1.5 cuft of KL in a 10x54 tank needs about 7 to 9 GPM depending on incoming water temperature. For Evansville, maybe 8 or 9. For up north, 7 or 8. The site search will not look for 2-letter terms, but you can search the forum for Katalox.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
High iron, manganese, some hardness, pH acceptable, high turbidity (possible from iron) etc...

Nothing too exciting but you have very limited space. Iron reduction is highly recommended but the space limitation makes it a bit more difficult. How much space do you have? Can you do a quick drawing of the application?

espi118

Reaction score
I have attached a drawing of the room. I will be hiring a plumber to help with re-routing everything, so we could get creative if we need to.

What is the usual "go-to" for iron removal?

Attachments

• Room.png
    Room.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 252

ditttohead

Reaction score
There are many methods of iron reduction, some are "all in one" designs that are the most problematic but they are slightly less expensive and smaller. These have the lowest success rate. Multi-step units have very high success rates and remove the vast majority of the iron but are more complex and expensive and larger.

Simplest: Single tank Katalox Light with every 3 day backwash. This works if the water conditions are ideal. ie: pH, temp, ORP, DO, etc...
Level 2: Oxygen injection/Katalox light backwashing. Same as above, more effective and adds little cost but it also adds a lot of air to the water, can be annoying.
level 3: Oxygen injection / KL with a air release mini contact tank. Same as above but a lot less air and considerably more effective
Level 4: H2o2 or chlorine injection with KL, not contact tank
Level 5 H2o2 or Chlorine injection with contact tank and GAC or KL

so on and so forth.

We design and distribute dozens of iron reduction designs. It all depends on your existing equipment design, water quality, treated water quality desire etc.

Many people will start with a mid level system and add chemical injection late if needed. KL is a fairly robus media so even if you don't do everything up front and need to add it later, the media seems to be just fine.

espi118

Reaction score
After doing more research, I think I would like to give the H202 injection, no contact tank, with KL filter a try. I have also attached my full water report. Here is what I am thinking:

Pressure tank > pressure gauge > shutoff> Spin down filter > shutoff> Hydrogen peroxide injector > Inline static mixer > shutoff> Fleck backwashing filter w/Katoalox light > shutoff > Water softener

Similar to this: http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/PER-ST_PRP_MIX_SED_CAR_SOF-p-diagram-per-pcm-mixer.html

Space is definitely a concern.

Does anyone see any issues with this? Would I need to add a "whole house" cartridge filter anywhere?

Where is the best place to purchase equipment?

LPq2fxH.png

IRXX1xH.png

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
You design would have a 95% chance of great success. Water Is very tricky sometimes and strange things occur with the chemistry. The contact tank would simply add a place for the iron to precipitate out and the h2o2 to more thoroughly oxidize the iron and would lessen the fouling of the valve, upper diffuser, and media, allowing the KL system to perform longer with less service. The static mixer is great but with iron, they do foul up over time. Make sure it is easy to replace, don't install it behind the air condition system... :) You should do just fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks