Need some quick help...urgent!

Users who are viewing this thread

MP_MKZ

Reaction score
So I installed a new vanity top that came with undermount sink. I am about to do the plumbing today. I noticed that the sink drain neck is not cast very well. It's imperfect. I used some two part epoxy to fill the space there. What do I do to make sure it does not leak. Putty, teflon dope, something else???

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 372

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I guess your talking about the flat surface where the rubber gasket would sit. I can't tell from photos how imperfect the surface is. I would think the rubber gasket would conform to any imperfections. I use a little plumber's putty under the drain flange on the inside of the sink. I'm not a prof plumber - just passing on what I read/learned here.

Attachments

• popup drain.JPG
    popup drain.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 357

MP_MKZ

Reaction score
I guess your talking about the flat surface where the rubber gasket would sit. I can't tell from photos how imperfect the surface is. I would think the rubber gasket would conform to any imperfections. I use a little plumber's putty under the drain flange on the inside of the sink. I'm not a prof plumber - just passing on what I read/learned here.
Hi. Thanks. I know to use puddy under the popup rim. I am concerned about the spot where the rubber gasket meets the sink neck from the underside. I guess that does not have to be perfect??? I can always use some Rectorseal T plus 2 non gardening multipurpose paste on it. It's compatible with stuff like that.

MP_MKZ

Reaction score
Well the sink sealed fine. However the drain was too close to the sink and I could not do a 45 or a 90. I ended up letting my imagination run wild. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 382

MP_MKZ

Reaction score
That takes the prize.
Thanks. I hoped somebody would give me the weirdest p trap award. Imagine a home inspector walking in on this and saying: well it ain't wrong, but it ain't pretty either. It was either that or pay a plumber to burr the existing drain to install a 45 degree adapter closer into the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just be prepared to pull it apart on occasion to clean it out. There will be some stuff that ends up growing/adhering to the pipe before the trap, and over time, it will start to smell funky. Anything above the trap is essentially open into the sink. There's a reason why it's best practice to have the trap directly underneath the outlet, and not have excessive drop.

MP_MKZ

Reaction score
So I have completed one of my bathroom vanity remodels. I am planning to do the same upstairs. I already know the sink drain will be too close to the 1 1/2 drain connection. Last time I had to use my imagination with slip joints. I found something at Lowe's and HD but I am not sure if it's legal or ok to use? As you can see the sinks are oval now and they go further back and require some plumbing inagination.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-1-...95231?keyword=Flexible+j+trap&searchtype=text

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 339

Reach4

Reaction score
So I have completed one of my bathroom vanity remodels. I am planning to do the same upstairs. I already know the sink drain will be too close to the 1 1/2 drain connection.
How close to in-line are your drain adapters and tailpieces? If really close, which is unlikely, some bottle traps are permitted. The odds of being that lined up are very small I think.

MP_MKZ

Reaction score
Now take that sink drain and move it to left and toward drain and you won't be able to use that 45. That's how I ended up convoluting those slip joint connections and making a funny trap. I tried 45 s and 90s nothing would work. Let's just say I got really good at p trapping now, like a balloon clown. Tell me what you want kids and I will make it!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always install with the street 45 and the trap adapter when they are like that. If I need to pick up more space at the back, I take out a rambit and drill out the hub, though not often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks