Need a toilet for 12" Rough in with 4 3/8" pipe boxing

Users who are viewing this thread

BronxGirl

Reaction score
I was so excited to install my new Toto Entrada toilet, and was dissappointed to find that it wouldn't fit because the base the toilet is too wide (even though it is supposed to be a compact toilet, and is a two piece). The bolts are 12" from the wall, but I have a 4 3/8" skirt that covers the piping on the wall.

Can you recommend a toilet that has a smaller base that sits further away from the wall?

This is a basement toilet, and I have two cats and use a flushable litter, so I want a reliably working toilet, but it doesn't have to look fancy. I am willing to pay more for the functionality but was so excited about the affordability of the entrada.

2017-04-06 17.29.08.jpg
2017-04-06 17.29.22.jpg

BronxGirl

Reaction score
I did a little research and found that the Toto Rowan and Toto Connelly both sit at least 5" from the wall. Also looked like Gerber Ultra Flush may work And American Standard Cadet Right Height. Did I miss any? Rowan seems affordable, but I have seen some complaints about the push button flush. Do you find that is a common issue?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Rowan is a 2" flush valve, so I would stay away from that one. One of the very few Totos I wouldn't recommend.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Would it be easier to whack into the pipe boxing and reroute the pipes up and over the butt end of your new toilet bowl? Where do those pipes go, anyway?

BronxGirl

Reaction score
Would it be easier to whack into the pipe boxing and reroute the pipes up and over the butt end of your new toilet bowl? Where do those pipes go, anyway?

Looking more an more as if it would be easier...but would take a professional plumber and a carpenter rather than a simple installation job for my Super (Daddy : ) I wasn't there when the contractor put the pipes in, but I believe that the pipes under there run to the toilet and to the shower. And they boxed it to make it look nicer and make it easier to clean rather than leave them exposed.

Looking at the specs for toilets most of them now have very large bases. The Connelly looks like it will fit, but will extend at least an inch further out than my current toilet. The space is currently tight and if I close the bathroom door my knees hit the door. Luckily it is only me in the apartment.

My parents (the landlords) are threatening to just go get a replacement at Home Depot, and I am afraid that I will end up in the same issue that is causing me to replace it. Toilet has been running for 3 constantly for 3 months now. Dad has replaced the flapper and works 3 times without success. We have finally decided that the tank itself must be leaking. Sigh...

I originally ordered the Entrada and I have to return it. But can't seem to find a quality compact toilet to fit the space well.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
A running toilet doesn't call for replacing the unit most of the time. High water pressure, cramming the refill tube down the overflow too far, maladjusted fill valve float, and so on. Nice to have something new, though.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you got a toilet that was close to fitting, you could chisel out some relief into the wood.

BronxGirl

Reaction score
A running toilet doesn't call for replacing the unit most of the time. High water pressure, cramming the refill tube down the overflow too far, maladjusted fill valve float, and so on. Nice to have something new, though.
yes... we don't have a ton of expertise. But after the third replacement it is working worse than ever. It is a cheap home depot toilet and has been a constant headache since it was put in. So I am hoping that if I get a quality toilet it will work better.

BronxGirl

Reaction score
If you got a toilet that was close to fitting, you could chisel out some relief into the wood.
Thanks or the tip. It seems that there are very few toilets made any longer that are mounted more than 1 inch from the wall.. sigh. I am hoping that the Connelly will work. Looks like the Aquia may or may not, but it would be a tight fit, and I am having trouble returning the Entrada that I bought, because they claim that by opening the box it may not be returnable. So wish me luck... Although, if I need plumbing fixtures in the future, I am not going to use the supplier that I purchased the Entrada from.

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.mansfieldplumbing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/4817-3816-Cascade.pdf
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/a-close-look-at-the-mansfield-cascade-rimless-toilet-pics.49890/

gerber HE-21-317 https://www.flushmate.com/models/pdf/gerber-HE-21-317.pdf is a 10 inch rough toilet. That means it would sit 2 inches out from the wall more than the pictures would show.... in a pinch you could consider a 10 inch rough in toilet, but note that many 10 inch rough toilets use the same base as the 12, and only have less thick tank..... I suspect this is not the case with that Gerber, but I am not sure.

BronxGirl

Reaction score
Now I am seeing that there are some bad reviews of the connolley.. sigh... notes that the flushes don't flush clean. Does anyone have experience? I don't want to spend $600 bucks on a toilet if it isn't going to work well. It may be worth taking the chance on the Aquia...

BronxGirl

Reaction score
http://www.mansfieldplumbing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/4817-3816-Cascade.pdf
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/a-close-look-at-the-mansfield-cascade-rimless-toilet-pics.49890/

gerber HE-21-317 https://www.flushmate.com/models/pdf/gerber-HE-21-317.pdf is a 10 inch rough toilet. That means it would sit 2 inches out from the wall more than the pictures would show.... in a pinch you could consider a 10 inch rough in toilet, but note that many 10 inch rough toilets use the same base as the 12, and only have less thick tank..... I suspect this is not the case with that Gerber, but I am not sure.

Thanks for the tip.. Do you find that the gerbers work well? and are generally problem free?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It has already been suggest that you might consider rerouting the pipes . Don't know what the are for or the size, but if they are laying flat side by side, it should be pretty simply to stack them and make the cover smaller. Or maybe raise them slightly so the base of the toilet will fit under the cover. I think you could cut the width of the box to about 2" instead of the 4.5" you show in the photo. Think outside of the box, don't just assume those pipes have to stay as originally installed. Rerouting them will be better than going with a second or third choice toilet.

BronxGirl

Reaction score
Installed the Connelly today with Dad's help (the the Video of Jamie Love installing the toilet!... he makes it look sooo easy). We took longer than Jamie to install it. It took us a while to get the toilet bolts seated well since the flange was a little worn near the bolt holes, and dad didn't unpack the plastic washers that would have made this easier. But we managed to get it seated securely.

And luckily, no need to learn carpentry or advanced plumbing (i.e....re routing of pipes and rebuilding of pipe box)

So far it is flushing well. All the kitty litter and person litter has gone down cleanly without a problem. So thanks everyone. So far so good.
IMG_1995.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks very good.
So far it is flushing well. All the kitty litter and person litter has gone down cleanly without a problem. So thanks everyone. So far so good.

Nice!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good job. Now you can wash your hair and your right foot at the same time while going potty. You're petite, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks