Pentair 760 question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mastiff

Reaction score
I have the manual for this softener, but I'm still unclear about this: If I set the calendar override to some value other than zero, am I forcing it to regen at that interval, or will it still make a decision at that time? I've had it on zero (auto regen based on usage) and think I may be using a ton of water. I'd like to set it so it will regenerate at most every 3 days, but not do it if it doesn't think it needs to based on usage. Thanks.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
What kind of softener is it? I don't know about a cabinet unit, but usually the regen for a regular softener would happen at the selected interval or based on demand -- whichever comes first. You are wanting it to go the other way.

If it is not a cabinet unit, tell us about your controller.

Mastiff

Reaction score
What kind of softener is it? I don't know about a cabinet unit, but usually the regen for a regular softener would happen at the selected interval or based on demand -- whichever comes first. You are wanting it to go the other way.

If it is not a cabinet unit, tell us about your controller.

It's a Pentair 760, aka Autotrol 760. Which I think is also the same as Autotrol 255.

Reading around on other units, I think you are right that I'm getting the opposite of what I want, where it'll force it to regen after 3 days even if it doesn't need it.

Reach4

Reaction score
It sounds as if you want to program it for pure demand, and that is what you have been doing. You are thinking that the unit is regenerating too much that way now. Maybe instead of zero, you could choose 21, unless you are sure about the meaning of zero.
  1. How hard is your water?
  2. How much iron is in your water, or is it city water?
  3. How much softened water do you use per day, or how many people use softened water in the house? If city water, you could look at your winter water bills (when you are not watering your lawn).
  4. how big is your tank (height and (diameter or circumference))?
Based on that info, we can estimate how long between regens you might expect. If you are regenerating much more often than that, you can check into it more.

Mastiff

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm still struggling with this thing. All seems right, except the unit just seems to run the regen cycle every day. I'm not home most days at regen time, but when I am it always seems to run. I noticed this morning that it ran, and now the regen symbol on the display is blinking already. Doesn't a certain amount of water have to flow through the valve before it will call for another regen?

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with mine. It keeps regenerating even if it says i have 2000 gallons of use left. The regeneration icon was on and I thought it was a bad unit. What i did was push the generation button on the face (didn't hold it for 5 seconds to make it regenerate) and it ended up having that generation symbol go away and it hasn't regenerated on its own yet. However I am still testing that. I also have my days set to 0 so it can auto regenerate when it needs too. I've only been testing this for a few days as well. So we'll see if it regenerates on its own when it doesn't have to.

Mastiff

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with mine. It keeps regenerating even if it says i have 2000 gallons of use left. The regeneration icon was on and I thought it was a bad unit. What i did was push the generation button on the face (didn't hold it for 5 seconds to make it regenerate) and it ended up having that generation symbol go away and it hasn't regenerated on its own yet. However I am still testing that. I also have my days set to 0 so it can auto regenerate when it needs too. I've only been testing this for a few days as well. So we'll see if it regenerates on its own when it doesn't have to.

Thanks. I think I found a similar thing. It was blinking and a single press made it stop. I'm wondering if it has to do with the power being interrupted. We had the power go out briefly recently. I sent a question to pentair customer service but have not heard back.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Have you reset the board and fully reprogrammed it? The manuals are readily available. I would start with that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks