2" Drain Pipe in 2"x4" Stud

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveC1

Reaction score
Hi, I have a cast iron 2" drain going thru a stud near the floor. The load from the stud is no longer being transferred to the floor. Is there a device that will wrap around the drain and carry the load from above to below?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Add a 4x4 header spanning the distance between the two adjacent studs to support the section of stud above the pipe, supported by a jack stud on both ends of the header.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Hi, I have a cast iron 2" drain going thru a stud near the floor. The load from the stud is no longer being transferred to the floor. Is there a device that will wrap around the drain and carry the load from above to below?

What you are looking for is called a stud shoe, but they are not always code compliant.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The stud shoe approach may be the only easy option if it's multiple studs, but Dave used the singular "stud", not "studs". If it's a single stud a header (doubled up 2x4s or a 4x4) supported jack studs is more robust.

If it's not a load-bearing wall it hardly matters, and a stud shoe (or even nothing at all) would be fine.

DaveC1

Reaction score
The stud shoe approach may be the only easy option if it's multiple studs, but Dave used the singular "stud", not "studs". If it's a single stud a header (doubled up 2x4s or a 4x4) supported jack studs is more robust.

If it's not a load-bearing wall it hardly matters, and a stud shoe (or even nothing at all) would be fine.
Thanks for the tip....I will try a stud shoe....that should be sufficient...thanks for the tip

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks