Zoeller ejector pump system noisy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hcw3

Reaction score
I have a basement space where we are considering creating a small commercial spa, 2-4 tubs, with a shower and sink/toilet.

Our sewer line to the street is approx 2 feet above the floor.

We'll be replacing the concrete floor, after digging 12" down, leaving the floor approx 4-6" lower.

We were considering a sump hole and ejector pump type system, and I mentioned it to our plumber. He said that these systems are very noisy and would be intolerable to the tenants and customers in the stores upstairs, much more so in the spa. He also said that they're trouble-prone.

Anyone with experience or opinions with these systems? Are they noisy?

Hcw3

Reaction score
Or, anyone have suggestions as to somewhere else I could post the question?

Thanks.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can hear them running. Don't know what your comfort level is, but if you secure the discharge pipe to stop the bump noise, and maybe utilize some kind of sound deadening insulation to stop the pumping noise it could be dealt with. Oh, and crank up the muzak.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are plenty of homes that use sewage ejectors for the lower level. You can hear them humming for a short time while the pump is running but it's almost like a white noise.
If you live in a home with forced air heating, that's noisey too, or when the fridge runs for a few minutes, or the icemaker fills the trays. How about when the washer or dryer is running?
The pump is quieter than those items, and hardly ever runs.

It's a 2" discharge hopefully into a 4" line for best results. Sometimes an inspector lets you run the 2" into a 3" line.
The sump gets a 2" vent out through the roof. Sometimes I go up a floor and tie into a 2" toilet vent.

Hcw3

Reaction score
Thanks very much! That's just what I needed to know. I sure appreciate your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks