3/4" pipe for shower system....

Users who are viewing this thread

fcat

Reaction score
Id like to get as much flow as possible to my showerhead. I realize shower heads are limited for flow but the restrictor can usually be removed.

I'm going to use the Hansgrohe ibox system which has 3/4" fittings and plan on having a fixed head shower on the wall and a rain head show from the ceiling, either or both together will be able to be used.

The pipes running to the valve, from the valve to the shower head and the shower head pipe will all be 3/4 CPVC. However, I'm having a few problems finding a good shower head with a 3/4" fitting. If i were to use 3/4" up to the drop ear in the wall and then have a 1/2" shower pipe for both the fixed shower head and also the rain shower head, am i going to loose much flow ?

Appreciate any help and responses.

Si

fcat

Reaction score
You do realize that 3/4" CPVC is almost the same as using 1/2" copper, don't you?
Yes i realize that, thanks, but I'm looking at 3/4 CPVC, not copper. At the moment the supply lines for the shower are 1/2 CPVC coming off 3/4 CPVC, I'm looking at continuing the 3/4 to the valve and shower head itself, hence my original question.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know of shower heads using 3/4"
I thought they were all 1/2" threaded, which is more than enough for a shower head. Heck, I use 1/2" on hosebibs and garden hoses. How much are you wanting out of the head?
The i-Box has 3/4" in and out, but that's because it's running multiple fixtures from it.
If you run 3/4" CPVC you will be fine. Sort of like running 3/4" PEX.

spaces_hg_03.jpg

spaces_hg_05.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At full, as delivered volume, two showerheads can't exceed 2.5gpm each, or 5gpm. Unless you're running a tankless system and wanting to use only all hot, 3/4" CPVC should max them out unless you have an excessive distance or quantity of fittings and changes in direction. You want to have at least slightly more volume available than the devices can use, so that they are the flow restriction, not the piping system, to maintain your supply pressure all the way to the end. AT the maximum recommended velocity (5 fps) on hot water for copper at 1/2" (different materials have different max ratings), that only equates to 4gpm, so not quite up to two showerheads. I'm not saying that it won't carry more, it's just that it's not recommended, at least for copper. Higher velocity, higher internal friction, higher loss of pressure. SO, it behooves you to minimize that friction and lowering of volume. CPVC is smaller in ID than the equivalent copper pipe.

fcat

Reaction score
I don't know of shower heads using 3/4"
I thought they were all 1/2" threaded, which is more than enough for a shower head. Heck, I use 1/2" on hosebibs and garden hoses. How much are you wanting out of the head?
The i-Box has 3/4" in and out, but that's because it's running multiple fixtures from it.
If you run 3/4" CPVC you will be fine. Sort of like running 3/4" PEX.

spaces_hg_03.jpg

spaces_hg_05.jpg
Excellent, that's what i was looking for, thanks:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks