New Water Treatment Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post but have been reading for a bit. I am looking to replace my current Culligan rental water softener and purchase a proper system for treating my water. The current Culligan is doing well with some iron and egg smell from time to time. No slime in the toliet tanks.

Currently on a well 150 feet deep with a 1.5hp pump at about 100'. Internal pipe in and out of softener is 1". Written on my amtrol wx302 is "water level: 50 at 50GPM"

Primary goals would be to have soft water and remove as much iron as possible. Have 4 people in the home, 2 adults and 2 kids as well as the usual appliances (washer, dishwasher, etc). Would lean toward efficiency and longevity of the system/resin.

Local water guy recommends a 64k grain system with a Clack valve and 10% cross link resin.

Had the kit-90 completed by KAR. File attached.

Attachments

• March 2017 noinfopdf.pdf
    139.4 KB · Views: 264

Reach4

Reaction score
Your pump is probably bigger than optimum, but you do have a good sized pressure tank to go with it.. That big pump might be good for backwashing your KL tank.

You have 32 grains of hardness, 1.11 ppm iron, and 0.025 ppm Mn. While a softener can treat that, a separate backwashing iron filter before the softener would be best.

So I would go with a KL filter, and a dual tank 2 cubic ft each tank using a Fleck 9100SXT softener. I don't know how big of KL tank you would need, but 2.5 cubic ft of KL might be in order.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Considering your very high hardness yet your low pH, you may need an oxidant with the KL system. It can be added later if the KL system does not perform optimally.

A softener is not an ideal solution for iron reduction, though it can be effective. If you do go that route, regular acid cleaning of the resin bed is highly recommended.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
An average simple 48,000 grain common Clack water softener will take out about 4 parts per million of iron

Your harness is really hard but it is not that big a deal....just setting up the unit correctly
also the larger 64,000 grain unit will take out 6 parts per million and give you more length between
regeneration's....

it would probably suffice

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. Some statements and questions.

I believe I understand the benefits of the dual tank set up, which are primarily instant regen (instead of waiting), backwashing with softened water (?) and efficiency.

Using this calculator, assuming 4 people, 75GPD, 31 GPG, and 2 mg/l of iron:

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/water_softener_sizing.htm

I get approximately 11,000 grains per day that I need to soften. According to this link, I would use 6 lbs. of salt to achieve 20k grains of hardness removal per 1 ft3 of resin:

https://www.aquatell.com/pages/how-to-properly-size-a-water-softener

If this is true, and I go with a dual tank system consisting of 64k total grains each, each tank after the first regen would take approx 3-4 days to regen (20k gains x 2 ft3 = 40k removal per tank. 40k removal x 2 = 80k removal total / 11k grains usage per day = 8 days total, 4 days per tank). If I wanted to extend the regen cycle to 6 days per tank, I would go with a 3 ft3 per tank system "192,000 total grains" or 96k grains per tank.

Is this correct? Regarding this softening portion, would I have any concerns regarding the water rate on backwashing or flow rate on a Fleck 9100 system? Any other concerns? A link that I am reviewing:

https://www.affordablewater.us/Flec...ainsbrfont-colorredFree-Shippingfont-P26.aspx

Shows 15gpm, which should be sufficient for my home.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
No reason for a twin alternating in the majority or residential applications. If you are considering using a softener for iron reduction then a low salt setting should not be used.
Using a softener for iron reduction is wasteful and rarely recommended especially in higher pH applications as this causes the iron to bind to the resin more than it would in lower pH. Most iron reduction medias work better in higher pH. Your water is in the middle so it may go either way... put an iron reduction system ahead of the softener to eliminate this problem. You also mentioned a h2s smell, a small contact tank and h2o2 injection would be a simple way to correct this.

Reaction score
Well, I am taking recommendations :) I think that this point, I'm looking at a Katalox light tank and then a softener. If I understand correctly, the Katalox light will handle most if not all of the hardness, iron and h2s.

I'm not sure exactly how to size the Katalox system as there is not much info out there (or clear info). Anyone have a good idea? Also, it appears most of the Katalox systems use a Fleck 2510 AIO. Is this a recommended setup?

ditttohead

Reaction score
AIO is not a great design. We do a ton of them but... lots of complaints on the air in the house. Even though we do some things to limit it, it will be there.

Air works a lot of the time but not always. H2o2 is much stronger and better but add some cost and complexity.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Yes. It is basically a softener without a brine tank.
Air in the water is much better than Iron. A check is installed on the inlet of the unit and the draw line. I am doing a clear tank video of So I soon. Should be fun!

Reaction score
Good to know. I have not seen one in action. This would not make the better half happy! Are those clear tanks specially developed for testing/r&d? I would love to have a couple :)

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Contact Water Right manufacturer in Appleton Wisconsin, they will steer you to reputable licensed well water/plumber to have a correct sized treatment for iron, hardness and sulphur, as well raise the pH level ,all in ONE unit..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks