Troubleshooting a Fleck 5600

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
I still don't have a good feel for how much water should be in the tank while in service mode at various salt levels.
As you have not specified the settings programmed, we don't know how much water should be in the tank either.

Is your control valve an SXT (digital), an Econominder (metered mechanical) or time clock (12 day timer) model?

As the softener's total capacity had been exhausted, an additional regeneration cycle would be advised after adding more salt. It typically takes 1.5 - 2 hours for salt to dissolve to full strength brine once fresh water is added. Each 1 gallon water will dissolve 3 lbs salt.

Do you know the total capacity of the softener? If stated along with your water's hardness and the BLFC number (stated on label located near brine tube connection), we can advise on the appropriate capacity and salt dosage settings.

Reach4

Reaction score
Supplemental info: Get a Hach 5-B hardness test and check the hardness of your softened water as the gallons remaining gets low. If you see more than one grain (more than one drop on the test), you will want to take action. That would probably be to review your settings and probably make the softener regenerate sooner.

If the softness stays the whole time, you might have ideal settings, or you might be able to save some salt with stingier settings.

If you measure your tank height and either diameter or circumference, Bannerman will be able to better help review your settings.

The harrymanimus

harrymanimus
Reaction score
My system is the metered Econominder.

Brine tank is 40 inches high, 18 diameter.
Resin tank is about 4ft, 9.23 diameter

LBs of salt setting in back is set to just shy of 6.

The only numbers I see is a sticker that says Injector Drain flow 2.0 gpm.

Found document online that says my area has the following. Not sure how accurate it is.
TDS LEVEL in mg/l = 205
HARDNESS LEVEL IN mg/l = 142
HARDNESS GRAINS PER GALLON = 8

I do have a cheaper hardness test kit, the kind with strips. Went from max hardness to min on the strip.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Harry,

It appears your softener is a 1 cuft system.

By your comment regarding obtaining the hardness level online, I anticipate your water source is municipal (town/city). Your hardness level should be tested accurately at your location as the levels stated online, are generally average from all sources over a one year period. If the water source is multiple wells and other sources, the hardness levels can vary considerably throughout the distribution system and by season. Due to some hardness variance which should be expected, it is recommended to program for an additional 2 or 3 grains hardness over the level as tested.

The salt setting chosen will determine the usable softening capacity and the maximum salt efficency for your 1 cuft softener.
6 lbs salt > 20,000 grains (2,000 gallons @ 10 gpg) = 3,333 grains/lb efficiency
8 lbs salt > 24,000 grains (2,400 gallons @ 10 gpg) = 3,000 grains/lb efficiency
10 lbs salt > 27,000 grains (2,700 gallons @ 10 gpg) = 2,7000 grains/ lb efficiency

As you mention an existing 6 lb salt setting, I then anticipate the capacity programmed should be 20,000 grains LESS 1 average day usage as the Econominder controller has no other provision for programming reserve capacity. Unless your consumption figures are known, the average daily consumption rate is often estimated as 60 gallons per person when equipped with efficient fixtures and appliances, up to 75 gallons pp with less efficient equipment.

Here is a link to the Service Manual for your 5600 Econominder.
https://www.purewaterproducts.com/img/docs/manuals/5600servicemanualpdf.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks