Plumbing washing machine with existing dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

nickm1

Reaction score
Hi folks probably a simple method of doing this but im very new to plumbing and cant afford the luxury of hiring a plumber at the moment unfortunately so hopefully someone here can advise me.

I have a dishwasher installed where the washing machine would normally go in kitchen and now have a washing machine to install in a utility room quite a bit away from sink ( about 15 to 20 feet with waste and water feeds coming under worktops and waste going out the back wall of house)

The waste will have to come about 12ft under kitchen units and straight out the back which i think i should be ok with but the water from machine will need to come under kitchen units along side waste but will have to turn right and travel about 6 feet to join up with water connections under sink.

Went to DIY to get what i needed and this is what they gave me

barrier PEX pipe 100mt coil 1/2 6 metres
washig machine valve
1/2 no.318
washing machine trap 1 1/2
waste elbow 1 1/2 quantity 3
waste pipe marley white 1 1/2

The guy mentioned cutting the copper pipe that the dishwater hose is connected to and putting a heavy gold colored tpiece in but as it looks at the moment the one he gave me is the same as the one there already and a valve with a blue paddle to turn on and off water which is the same as the one already installed there as well.

Can anyone advise me on what i actually need to do with these or has he given me the wrong bits for the job???

Last edited by a moderator:

nickm1

Reaction score

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 286
Last edited by a moderator:

nickm1

Reaction score
Im assuming he meant i should cut the small bit of copper pipe half way and put the tpiece in the middle and run the qualpex water feed pipe from the back of the washing machine into the tpiece and the washing machine valve needs to go at the back of the washing machine.

Does this sound right ??

nickm1

Reaction score
could i actually replace this small piece of copper pipe with qualpex pipe ??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The supply line looks to be a combination of PEX, copper, and a flex connector. All of those are okay to use. The PEX for that distance might be nice. If you don't have a method of installing fittings to the end, you can go the Sharkbite route.

What are you doing for the washer drain? We use a p-trap and standpipe for the discharge on the washer. The p-trap and standpipe gets vented to prevent it from siphoning dry and allowing sewer gas into the home.

nickm1

Reaction score
The supply line looks to be a combination of PEX, copper, and a flex connector. All of those are okay to use. The PEX for that distance might be nice. If you don't have a method of installing fittings to the end, you can go the Sharkbite route.

What are you doing for the washer drain? We use a p-trap and standpipe for the discharge on the washer. The p-trap and standpipe gets vented to prevent it from siphoning dry and allowing sewer gas into the home.

Thanks so much for the reply. So would i be right in saying i will need to remove that little bit of copper piping and replace with 2 small pieces of plex with the brass tpiece in the middle of them and then the water feed of pex will join to the top or bottom of the t piece depending on which way its rotated. I looked up the sharkbite tpiece and it seems it could be a good idea because there doesnt seem to be much room to work back there and tightening could be very awkward.

I have a stand pipe to install at back of machine and was planning on running the waste pipe down low at back of worktops and im guessing i will need to keep the pipe dropping at an angle the whole way out to the back wall to ensure no water gets back through and keep pipe from sagging in the middle somewhere to make sure no water sits in the middle.

Sorry for all the questions but its the first time ive tried anything with the plumbing apart from fitting a washing machine or dishwasher close to the sink which is straight forward

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks