Toto was grouted to my tile-cover grout with Loctite Polyseamseal or silicone?

Users who are viewing this thread

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
I am in the middle of another bathroom remodel, and I had planned for my Toto Drake to be reinstalled after the floor was tiled and then thought I would have the base caulked with Loctite Polyseamseal 2 in 1 Tub and Tile. Well, when I asked the tiler about putting the Polyseamseal around the toilet he replied he had grouted around the base of my toilet, leaving just the back ungrouted. I would rather have either 100% silicone caulk or Loctite Polyseamseal around the toilet because I feel like even sealed grout could absorb urine that my DS and his young friends sometimes get on the floor. 2 years ago after reading a bunch of posts here it seemed like more people liked the Loctite Polyseamseal 2-in-1 Tub and Tile, but now I am confused about what would best work on top of the grout. And I just discovered Loctite has a Polyseamseal that is 100% silicone so I don't know what to ask the tiler to do and what product to use. What do you recommend?

link to Loctite Polyseamseal 100% silicone:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pss_seal_silicone/overview/Loctite-100-Silcone.htm

link to Loctite Polyseamseal 2 in 1 Tub and Tile:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/PSS_SEAL_TT_tds.pdf

Reach4

Reaction score
The reason that the non-silicone caulk is used is to make the toilet removal later easier while giving a controlled strength in use.

This is not a comment on what would make a better grout sealant. I would suspect that a grout sealant might be better at that, but I don't know.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use the polyseam and forget about the silicone and grout, you may need to pull the toilet up someday.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
Whoops, sorry to be confusing. The grout is already there. So the choices are:

1. Ask him to put polyseamseal on top of the grout as long as it will adhere to the grout
2. Ask him to remove the grout first, then put the polyseamseal around the base
3. Leave the grout there (grout is Mapei Flexcolor CQ and is supposed to have a built in sealant) and do nothing else

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Grout sealant really doesn't seal the grout...it does help to slow penetration of stain producing substances and give you a little time to wipe up a spill. Grout is also not waterproof (except for maybe an epoxy or acrylic version, but definitely not cement based ones). You can often get a little bit of beading on freshly sealed grout, but it does not last forever or stop it, it just slows it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I like #1 with clear if there is not already a large grout fillet.

If I were doing it, I would use masking tape top and bottom, because I am not a pro and I am less experienced.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Grout gets harder each day...you might just be able to remove it fairly easily. Caulk over grout might work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks