How to remove early 2000s Moen Shower Handle

Users who are viewing this thread

mellowgeorge

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a single-handle chrome Moen shower handle where the handle comes in 2 parts: the thin lever part and the larger round base. There's a cap at the front of the handle, which I removed to reveal a screwhead. Unscrewing let's me remove the thin handle but the round base is still firmly attached. In fact, I can operate the shower perfectly just by grasping and turning the round base.

Pulling straight out isn't doing anything and I don't see or feel another set screw anywhere on the base. How do I remove the round base? In my search, people have said that the round base also unscrews though I could not confirm which shower handle they were talking about.

The reason for the repair in the first place is that the thin lever part comes loose all the time and I just wanted to replace the whole trim.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_20170302_185709925.jpg
IMG_20170302_185718855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I don't know the answer, but while your waiting for a reply from a pro-plumber, I would start spraying penetrating oil in/around that base.

mellowgeorge

Reaction score
I acquired a faucet handle remover tool and tried to give it a go. I increased the tension on the tool with no detectable movement on the faucet handle. I could have applied more force but I was worried that I might damage something.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are just going to have to pry back and forth from left to right and up and down until
that handle comes loose... I see a can of WD40 in your future....
If it still wont move get a blow torch and heat it up until it does....
You don't want to pull the whole thing out of the wall

You actually have not gotten to the tough part yet getting the stem out.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks