Hissing sound from toilet inlet line

Users who are viewing this thread

Danhome

Reaction score
ok. So we had our main plumbing line redone. Since then we've had some issues. (As posted in other threads)

One issue is. The inlet line to the toilet makes hissing sounds. As if the toilet is filling when water is run in another bathroom. Why would running water in another bathroom affect the other bath toilet?

What's stranger is that I touched the inlet line and it feels like water is moving through it. However when I open the toilet tank and look inside, water doesn't seem to be filling it. So why is there movement in the inlet line when there isn't any movement inside the tank. I'm so confused.

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
If you turn off the stop valve to the suspect toilet, I suspect you might still hear the sound. That is, the sound could be just from the pipes.

Danhome

Reaction score
If you turn off the stop valve to the suspect toilet, I suspect you might still hear the sound. That is, the sound could be just from the pipes.
I'll try that. But I touched the braided line and felt movement. And the sound is not constantly on when the water is run. It comes and goes.

Danhome

Reaction score
Your tank is draining slowly and will fill back up to level. Change your flapper​
Why does it only sound when water is used in another bathroom tho? Like the other toilet being flushed or shower on. How does that affect this toilet.

Danhome

Reaction score
Another question. Our bedroom is near the main outside water piping. So I can hear whenever water runs. However when sinks and dishwasher etc are run. The water running through the pipes is quiet. It's only when that toilet that I hear the hissing from, gets flushed, when I hear water running through the pipes. I don't understand why only that toilet causes water running to be heard.

JRC3

Reaction score
Yeah, the sound and vibration is just transferring to the toilet supply.

Something that might help...Check that all the stops on fixtures with them are wide open. Also, if the stops are not 1/4 turn and the older multi-turn, back them off full by a quarter turn. Not only does it quiet them down, but you often get more flow. Same with many outside spigots.

p_SCP_008_02.jpg

While you're at it, check that the main shutoff and hot water shutoff valves are wide open. Check them all.

Do you have any old cast pipe in the house?

Danhome

Reaction score
No we're all copper now. And i feel the sound only started after we redid the main line w copper. I wonder if something got stuck in the toilet line like a bit of copper or something.

JRC3

Reaction score
I wonder if something got stuck in the toilet line like a bit of copper or something.
If so, then you'd more than likely only hear it when the toilet was filling.

Do you notice and increased flow everywhere else in the house after the re pipe? If so, the extra flow may just be causing it as it passes through the pipes.

So were all the stops fully open?

Danhome

Reaction score
If so, then you'd more than likely only hear it when the toilet was filling.

Do you notice and increased flow everywhere else in the house after the re pipe? If so, the extra flow may just be causing it as it passes through the pipes.

So were all the stops fully open?

Hi. Yea all fully open. We've never a. Problem before. It is when the toilet is filling.

It's weird that we hear the sound in toilet1 even when toilet2 is flushed. Someone said it's prob the sound in the pipes. However I feel vibration in the toilet1 inlet line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks