Wiring well pump directly to generator help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Wowndeye

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I've got a well that's about 90 feet deep and has a 1 hp pump installed which is currently only connected to the control box which a red and black wire coming out from L1 and L2 which from the schematic looks like they go to the relay from a pressure switch with the pressure tank that's not installed yet.

I'm needing water this weekend for a project and am wondering how to wire it up. Clearly with the way it's set up now, my well guy was able to run it to get the flow rate and water samples but I haven't heard back from him on how to wire this up so thought I'd reach out here.

I've got a NEMA L14-20P plug that will fit my generator but it also needs a common and ground from the looks of it, which aren't present. I'm assuming both the red and black are 120v each to supply power to the pump but would it be safe to run if I wired them to the plug as is? The yellow line that's on the red/black isn't connected at either end.

I can wire it all together but don't know as much as I'd like about electricity.

Any help would be very appreciated! :)

Josh

Attachments

• IMAG1143.jpg
    IMAG1143.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 4,573
  • IMAG1145.jpg
    IMAG1145.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 3,929
  • IMAG1159.jpg
    IMAG1159.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 16,576
  • IMAG1146.jpg
    IMAG1146.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 3,750
  • IMAG1147.jpg
    IMAG1147.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 4,158

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
The neutral wire is only used on 120 volt circuits. You SHOULD use the ground wire though. It's supposed to be a green or bare wire. You could get by with using the unused yellow wire as a temporary ground wire. It goes on the ground lug in the control box

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can connect one wire to each of the 120v legs and it will work. Keep in mind that you must leave the water running the entire time this is connected. If you close off the water and leave the pump running, it will not last very long.

Attachments

• wiring-l14-20r.png
    wiring-l14-20r.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,303
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks