Is my new faucet properly vented? Nope!

Users who are viewing this thread

oaomcg

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I know very little about plumbing. But what i do know tells me that this is totally wrong. Our new sink and dishwasher in our remodel were plumbed today. Everything works fine but the AAV installation is making me scratch my head.

There is a branch in the AAV pipe that is open on the top with the dishwasher drain hose stuck into it. How does this not completely defeat the purpose of the valve? Is there any reason not to drain the dishwasher into the disposal? that's how i've always seen it done. Is this going to pass an inspection?

I plan on bringing this up with the contractor in the morning but thought I would try to get some further input beforehand.

Thanks!

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 383

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THey may have been trying to do an indirect drain (an air gap), but did it poorly.

oaomcg

Reaction score
My contractor insists that it is supposed to be this way. The inspector looked in the cabinet for about 2 seconds before moving on. Looks like i'll be hiring a real plumber to come back and double check all this guys work.

oaomcg

Reaction score
I will share some more photos but i will leave the inspectors name out of it for the time being.

Attachments

• plumb1.jpg
    plumb1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 374
  • plumb2.jpg
    plumb2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 372
  • plumb3.jpg
    plumb3.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 366
  • plumb4.jpg
    plumb4.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 368

oaomcg

Reaction score
my instinct at the moment is to pull the dishwasher drain line out of that tube, run a high loop, and connect it to the disposal (after removing the plug), then just cap off that extra pipe. seems extremely easy. is this a functionally sufficient solution? would that be up to code? again, i am a novice when it comes to plumbing but i know enough to recognize that this install is farked.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is nothing there to prevent sewer gas from entering the home.
I don't believe your inspector even looked at that. He must have been in a big hurry and signed off anyway.

We run 2" to the santee, by code.
The p-trap can be 1.5"
The 90 where it goes vertical must be a long turn, not medium.
There needs to be a full size cleanout for the sink.
You can't have an open pipe from the sewer that isn't trapped.

Let's just say it's worse than I had imagined.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In my expert opinion many areas seem to have the best "inspectors" money can buy

oaomcg

Reaction score
There is nothing there to prevent sewer gas from entering the home.
I don't believe your inspector even looked at that. He must have been in a big hurry and signed off anyway.

We run 2" to the santee, by code.
The p-trap can be 1.5"
The 90 where it goes vertical must be a long turn, not medium.
There needs to be a full size cleanout for the sink.
You can't have an open pipe from the sewer that isn't trapped.

Let's just say it's worse than I had imagined.

Thank you for your post. Brought these up with the contractor and he's basically shrugging his shoulders saying "it passed inspection".
Any chance someone could cite the IPC codes that correspond to these points?

-The 90 where it goes vertical must be a long turn, not medium.
-There needs to be a full size cleanout for the sink.
-You can't have an open pipe from the sewer that isn't trapped.

oaomcg

Reaction score
I still would like the names of the people involved in this. They should know the plumbing code, or stop doing it.

i will consider sharing once our project is done and i've rekeyed the locks. for now i'm just trying to get this corrected so we can be done with it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should at least remove the disposer, knock out the plug and remove all the bits by turning it upside down afterwards.
Reinstall and connect the dishwasher hose to the inlet on the disposer.
Then pick up a 1.5" ABS cap and glue that on the riser to prevent sewer gas in your kitchen. It must smell wonderful right now.

The dishwasher is not trapped right now. There is no liquid seal.

1002.4 Trap seals. Each fixture trap shall have a liquid seal
of not less than 2 inches (5 1 mm) and not more than 4 inches
(102 mm), or deeper for special designs relating to accessible
fixtures.

1002.1 Fixture traps. Each plumbing fixture shall be sepa-
rately trapped by a liquid-seal trap, except as otherwise per-
mitted by this code. The vertical distance from the fixture
outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm),
and the horizontal distance shall not exceed 30 inches (610
mm) measured from the centerline of the fixture outlet to the
centerline of the inlet of the trap. The height of a clothes
washer standpipe above a trap shall conform to Section
802.4. A fixture shall not be double trapped.

708.3.4 Base of stack. A cleanout shall be provided at the
base of each waste or soil stack.
1. A removable P-trap with slip or ground joint connections can serve as a cleanout for drain piping that is one size larger than the P-trap size.

It looks like IPC lets you use 1.5" on a kitchen.
UPC wants 2.0" and 1.5" trap.

Medium bend IPC
Vertical to horizontal
a. The fittings shall only be permitted for a 2-inch or smaller fixture drain.

UPC requires a long turn.

Last edited:

oaomcg

Reaction score
thank you very much for the corresponding codes. i really do appreciate all the help here. i noticed this was wrong right away and mentioned i didn't think it would pass an inspection. contractor said it's fine. i figured the inspector would set him straight and was pretty baffled when he didn't. the guy was in the house for all of 4 minutes before signing off on the electric, building, and plumbing (thanks government). the whole thing left me knowing it was wrong but without an ally to help me get it corrected. hopefully these codes can help me convince my contractor. if not i guess i'll be hiring a pro and sending him the bill.

oaomcg

Reaction score
yeah colorado uses IPC so it looks like he's off the hook for at least part of it. the open line to the sewer is what really concerns me. it doesn't smell yet but i know it's just a matter of time.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can call the inspector back out. He clearly made a serious error, and you have every right to
have him correct it. Go up the chain of command if you have to. Send photos to the head of the
building dept. Whatever it takes. Forget the contractor, he/she
is clearly lacking any vestige of integrity, like so many others.

oaomcg

Reaction score
After having my concerns blown off by the contractor yet again, I sent photos to the city inspectors office. They agreed that they missed the untrapped dishwasher drain and that it is wrong as it is. They will be contacting the the contractor and telling him to get it fixed for a reinspection.

thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks