TOTO Nexus 1.28gal - odd throat opening?

Users who are viewing this thread

BINTX

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Toto Nexus toilet, the 1.28gal model. I'm a little perplexed by the throat opening which has a trapezoidal appearance but looks unevenly shaped. Toto claims its within specs, what ever that means, its not like they measured anything. To me it looks like a deformed throat opening, I was surprised to see it on what I consider an expensive toilet.

Anyone else here see something like this on a Toto or other brand for that matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see it.
What is really interesting is to be at a factory where they make toilets to see what is involved. I was in Wisconsin at Kohler and what I noticed is how large everything is before it enters the kiln. They loose a lot of size as they dry out. It's clay that molded, and then filed into shape and sanded. They are very much done by hand.
I never see any two toilets that are exactly alike.

BINTX

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I didn't realize they were made by hand like that. This one appears to be made in Thailand, as I understand it Toto had different models manufactured in different locations.

I can understand some variances I just expected a bit more uniformity out of what I thought was a higher end brand. I don't think it would have an effect on performance but it looks a bit odd and stood out to me. The online seller I purchased it from offered to replace it even though Toto wouldn't call it defective. There were some other issues with a water stain on the bottom, it was obviously unpackaged and set on a wet surface at some point. Looking forward to replacing one of the 2003 builder grade toilets when the new bowl arrives.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks