CST454CEFG vs. CST454CUFG

Users who are viewing this thread

Ketzer7

Reaction score
Hi,

About two years ago, I had all 3 toilets in a house we purchased, replaced with Toto Drake IIs, based solely on Terry's recommendation from the consumer toilet report page. Easily the best $1400 I spent on the house at the time, and very glad I found Terry's site to dissuade me from my original plan of putting in AS Champions. An overdue thank you to him.

We recently sold this house and are looking at going with new construction for our next one. To that end, I like them so much, I want to get another set of Drake IIs to have the builder install and just save the hassle of having it done later.

I noticed, however, that Toto now sells two different models of the Drake II - the original 1.28gpf version I have, and a 1gpf version. Searching on here to try and educate myself, this thread seemed to outline the differences best:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....nly-shipping-the-1gpf-tank.54590/#post-399384

Is there anything beyond this nice synopsis I should be aware of for differences? My impression is that the original CST454CEFG is perhaps still the better choice, all things being equal. Is that a fair conclusion?

Also, I noticed that the spec sheet for the CST454CEFG lists the bowl as being part # C454CUFG, but I guess this is expected because the two models share this - the difference is really in the tanks used? There's no difference between the two bowls, or?

Thanks for the help, and again for the great site and helping me make my original purchase decision.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They both use the same bowl, different tanks.
I like the 1.28 version a lot. I've sold a few of the 1.0 too, and they also seem to work well.
With the 1.28, you can hold the handle and get more if you like. The 1.0 uses a cansister flush that limits you to 1.0, though there is enough in the tank to do that at least two times. They trapway is good though, and it's up to you as to what you need for your household. Sometimes it's nice to see the lower water bill.

epps_drake_2.jpg

Drake 1.28

st454e-terrylove-1.jpg

1.28 gallon tank

drake-1g-02.jpg

Drake 1G

Last edited:

Ketzer7

Reaction score
With the 1.28, you can hold the handle and get more if you like.

I have done exactly that on my current Drake IIs many a time :) Definitely like having that as an option.

Here in Nashua, in the non-summer months (i.e. when not running the irrigation), I typically don't even break the minimum amount due on my city water bill, and that's with wife and I, and two small kids, all using a decent amount. So going with the 1.0 version probably wouldn't make any more of a difference for our bill.

So based on what I've learned from here, I think I'll be sticking the with the -CEFGs for the new house.

Thank you again for your help Terry.

Stuff

Reaction score
So the 1G uses a custom lever and flush valve while the 1.28G still uses a standard flapper?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
So the 1G uses a custom lever and flush valve while the 1.28G still uses a standard flapper?

Correct. They're trying to precisely-measure the water to get it to 1G. At 1.28, if the flapper drops imperceptibly-late or imperceptibly-early, it's not going to make an enormous difference. At 1.0G, you need every drop, but you don't want to be accused of fraud, either. Hence, I think, the more-elaborate system.

The 1.0G gets rave reviews from people who want a 1.0G toilet (think Californians focused on their drought and the environment, the kind of folks who are mulching their kitchen scraps and replacing their lawns with desert plants). If you come into the store wanting a one-gallon-consumption toilet, this thing rocks. But a 20-percent reduction in water consumption has to come from somewhere. So you have to make tradeoffs in bowl wash and flush power. Toto has done a great job with this unit, but most people who don't care about that quart of water want the improved bowl cleaning and more-authoritative flush of the 1.28gpf model.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While there's very little difference on a Toto between a 1.6 and a 1.28g flush, to get it to 1g, it takes more changes to work properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks