Toilet 16" rough in help

Users who are viewing this thread

VonBergmann

Reaction score
Howdy friends,

I am a new member here. I searched for an answer to this problem, and I have not found a good solution, so I figured I would ask here.

I am nearing the end of the remodel from Hell. My contractor disappeared on my tiny bathroom remodel, so I am finishing the project myself. I just had the floor tiled, and I set the toilet today. And I find I have a 16" rough in. With the 12" toilet, that is a 4" gap. Not good. This is an 80 year old house, so that may explain it. No one checked while there was a chance when the floor was open.

Any suggestions on my best option here? Do I get a 14" rough in toilet and live w the 2"? At this point I am not prepared to cut up the floor, as this has been join on for 4 !/2 months and I need to get this over with.

Would an American Standard Accesspro solve this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mel

d

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
My vespin uni-fit story:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138

I used a 12 inch Unifit for about a 13+ inch rough. You could maybe do something similar using a 14 inch Unifit, as long as the hole in your flange is big enough. That would close most of the gap to the wall.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....rance-with-14-unifit-and-offset-flange.66596/ has marked-up unifit photo on #3 explaining the concept if it is not clear enough in the other thread.

I am not a pro, and I think that is a non-standard method.

It should work the same way for any of the Toto Unifit toilets.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The very best thing for your situation is one of the Toto toilets that uses the Unifit adapter. This adapter works on about 6 different Toto toilets. The adapters come in 10", 12", and 14" sizes. Please note that these will only work on the select Toto toilets, they are not universal even with other models of Toto. The 14" adapter would still leave a fairly wide space between the tank and the wall, but other than replumbing your drain, that is the best alternative you have. Fortunately, any of the Unifit toilets are very high grade and will look good and work well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The American Standard Accesspro shifts a toilet from center to left with an adapter or to the right with an adapter. List price $1598.00 but can be gotten at a discounted price.

cst474_side.jpg

TOTO Vespin II on a 14" rough with the 14" Unift.

TOTO makes bowls that can be installed at 10", 12" and 14" with their Unifit Adapter
Quite a few models in the TOTO line do that.

tresham-1-01.jpg

Kohler also makes a bowl that will do that in their Tresham one-piece.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
What's wrong with a 2 in. gap? It will allow you to actually clean the back of the toilet from time to time.
Most toilets with inaccessible backs get covered with nasty black mildew and other grunge after a
few years. It will also allow you to paint the wall to match in the event the bathroom ever gets repainted.

VonBergmann

Reaction score
Thanks or the info all. I really appreciate it. One last ( hopefully) question: would any 14" rough in toilet get me back 2" besides the Toto? I saw the American Standard AccessPro, and it appears that it only comes in 12" Rough in. Im not sure that would get me farther down the road as far as getting closer to the wall.

accesspro-toilet.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
One last ( hopefully) question: would any 14" rough in toilet get me back 2" besides the Toto?
Well, they would all close the gap. However many use the same bowl that they would have used with a 12 inch, but have a thicker (deeper, toward-the-wall) tank on the 14 inch version. Look at the dimensions. The Toto Unfit toilets and the Kohler that Terry mentioned move the whole toilet toward the wall, giving more space in front of the toilet. Look at the datasheets on the toilet you considered. My method with new holes the Unifit gives an additonal inch or more if you have a larger toilet flange, as I had.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TI saw the American Standard Access Pro, and it appears that it only comes in 12" Rough in. Im not sure that would get me farther down the road as far as getting closer to the wall.

Please read the specs on that one. It's a 12" rough toilet that will go sidewise closer to a side wall with an adapter.
In what world would that help you since you are looking for something to pull the bowl closer to the "back" wall?

It's also sticks out over 30" from the back wall on a 12" rough. That would give you something like 5" behind the tank and over 34" to the front of the bowl on your 16" rough.
bug.gif

I think you should buy it and post pictures afterwards with measurements so that the next person doesn't make the same mistake.

accesspro-right.jpg

Last edited:

VonBergmann

Reaction score
Thanks for the invaluable help everyone! I took the recommendation on getting a Toto Vespin II w a 14" Unifit. It got me 1 1/4" from the wall! I n addition, I gained a few inches at the front of the bowl. I could not have solved the problem without your help. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3,570
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 418
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks