AAV-Are these Installations both done correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel A

Reaction score
Hi folks. I need to install an Air Admittance Valve for my kitchen sink. I have seen more than a few pictures of these installed under sinks (many of which look like they're done wrong.) My question specifically pertains to where the vent should go. In some pictures, I see the vent installed at the top of a drain that goes straight down, vertically into a wall or floor. In others, I see the vent installed with a sanitary tee on a horizontal pipe that then connects to a pipe that goes downward (see pictures.) Are both these methods acceptable? For some reason, I feel that a vent installed at the top of a downward vertical pipe is best.

AAV installed atop a horizontal pipe

studor.jpg

AAV installed atop a vertical pipe

FH03OCT_ISLANSI_02.JPG

Daniel A

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. A follow-up question: One of the above pictures shows the p-trap and subsequent piping, including up to the AAV stepped up to a 2" pipe while the other shows the whole thing as 1 1/2". Is one preferred over the other?

Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those are both 1-1/2"

Lavs can be 1.5" with 1.25" traps. I use a 1.5" and reduce out the top for the tail piece.

Kitchen sinks under UPC are 2" with 1.5" trap arms and traps.
IPC lets you use 1.5" I believe. Seems kinda small to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks