Well Pump Clearance

Users who are viewing this thread

Coolul007

Reaction score
I plan on replacing iron pipe with plastic. I need to know what is the rule of thumb for placing the pump from the bottom of the well.

Is there a formula between the static level and the bottom of the well?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
~20 ft unless there is a reason to do otherwise. I am not a pro. Reasons can include high or low water, and more.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you suck crap, raise the pump. If you suck air, lower the pump. If you suck both, clean the well. :p

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
You probably don't have enough info to apply any rules...so put it back where it was. I pump test every well I drill and put the pump 20-40' below the stabilized PUMPING water level at maximum rate.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
The other factor that comes into play is cooling flow past the motor. You need to know where the water is coming into the well at. Is it a bottom feeder? Does it have a screen? Does it have a slotted liner with 100 ft of slots? Every well is differnt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks