Transfer switch connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimmie Forbes

Reaction score
I'm having a whole house generator installed. My electrician just mounted and ran some of the wires today. I have a nice ASCO 185 outdoor rated transfer switch brand new. I could not be here this morning when he mounted it. I now see that my outdoor rated box does not have water tight connections. It looks to me like his hole saw was to big. I have a 1/8 gap around the side of his PVC fittings. The ones coming out the bottom are even worst.

I know this can't be right but how should I have him fix it. Like I said all wires are in and he is coming back tomorrow to complete job. I'm seeking guidance because I don't want to be unreasonable but don't want water getting in my new transfer switch. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
what do you mean by "1/8 inch around the side of the PVC fittings"? Are you saying they are just stuck into the box without a locknut, and the box did not have "knockouts" for the connectors?

Jimmie Forbes

Reaction score
what do you mean by "1/8 inch around the side of the PVC fittings"? Are you saying they are just stuck into the box without a locknut, and the box did not have "knockouts" for the connectors?

There is a gap around the fitting apparently because he drilled the hole to large. The transfer switch does not have knockouts. My concern is water is going to run down the side of my box right into this gap and then into the transfer switch. I know this is not right, I guess my question is should I allow him to caulk it or make him pull it apart and fix it rot.

Thanks for your help

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Pictures would help. A permit has to be pulled for this type of work. No permit? No matter what, you have him stop the work immediately. Do not pay for anything for this is a serious matter for this type of work. Do not accept a statement that a permit is not needed.

If there is a permit, the inspector should pick up on this issue.

Jimmie Forbes

Reaction score
Pictures would help. A permit has to be pulled for this type of work. No permit? No matter what, you have him stop the work immediately. Do not pay for anything for this is a serious matter for this type of work. Do not accept a statement that a permit is not needed.

If there is a permit, the inspector should pick up on this issue.
No permit was pulled and I accept full responsible for allowing this. I know better but did not want to have inspectors out here because of some work my neighbor has done without a permit (large diesel Generator) his generator and mine are mounted very close to each other.

I know what I have to do this morning. I have to stop work and make sure permit is pulled. This is another one of those lessons I had to learn the hard way. Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Education is never cheap and glad you're moving in the right direction. If you bought the generator yourself and hired this electrician (?) get someone else. Even to you the work didn't look right.

After it is installed and past inspection, inform your homeowners insurance company. It is possible for a small discount on the premium because your chances of pipe freezing are greatly reduced. With a permit it also gives you coverage from any damage. Should a fire start, someone was electrocuted or overtaken from carbon monoxide while the generator was in use, the insurance company can negate the claim because of an improperly installed system (no permit or inspection).

The only thing that might be an issue is the location to the house. Read the installation instructions for the proper location if stated. Generally, the generator should not be closer than 3 feet to any window of the home including basements windows. I've lived in Florida for 27 years and during or after every hurricane, at least someone has been found dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning, sometimes several with large areas without power. That was with generators running outside near open windows, even in front of an open garage door. Wind will cause negative air pressure in the home and the exhaust will be sucked into the home. Believe it or not I've seen generators mounted inside the attached garage with the exhaust pipe going through the outside wall. :eek: Portable generators usually will state at least 25 feet from the home while it is running.

Battery operated carbon monoxide sensor alarms are relatively cheap now and be sure to put one in the home. I had one for years that plugged in an outlet. Mine you, they are good for a few years before the sensor part will no longer work. On the unit it will have an expiration date.

Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks