Locate Wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Larrywcc

Reaction score
I have over 40 zones at a property that I have taken over. At the end of the season one zone didn't work. I find all the information on how to find a wire at the box to find the valve. I don't want to go though one by one to find the wire to the valve. Something simple to find from the valve (know the location) to the box of many wires ??

Could be a broken wire at some point maybe but I guess that would be next step as last company changed wires around, why I am unsure as now the plans don't match.

Thanks....

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are asking how to determine which pair of wires is wired to each valve. Is that correct? If so, I suggest identifying your box. Maybe there is a command to turn on a zone, and you could go see where the water is coming out. Then move to the next.

I don't know any irrigation control boxes, but somebody might know your box.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you know the zone number it will correspond to the module at the control box. Hunter usually uses one module for four wired zones and I have many times found bad modules.

If you know where the zone valve is that is not working, the tool above by LRC3 will work. Put the toner on the wire wires at the valve. At the control box with all of the connections, use the receiver to detect the tone. If you want a better tools that is bullet proof and has been made for over 40 years, this is the one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Standard-701K-G-Tone-and-Probe-Kit-701K-G/203495654. It much more costly bt it the the model telephone worker have used forever.

It will pick up the tone with wires in walls. At the church rectory we did not know where the switches were for two outside flood lights. With no power at the 120v wires, it put the toner on it and inside the home with the probe at full volume I ran it at the ceiling. It took only few minutes to find both switches in the most unexpected locations. If you maintain properties you'll find this tool very valuable for that one time a year need.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
No offense but it sounds as though you are in over your head. This is basic stuff that you should be proficient in if you were hired to maintain the system. Might be able to help if you state the problem more clearly.

Larrywcc

Reaction score
No offense but it sounds as though you are in over your head. This is basic stuff that you should be proficient in if you were hired to maintain the system. Might be able to help if you state the problem more clearly.

Wasn't hired to do the sprinkler system. Was asked to see if I can fix the issue. The company that looked after it really messed things up disconnect heads, cut wires, combined zones low water pressure, Guess for a professional company they messed things up.

I am not a pro that is why it is great to have a forum to find out what is needed to be learned. If you want to help could of asked for more information also.....

Larrywcc

Reaction score
If you know the zone number it will correspond to the module at the control box. Hunter usually uses one module for four wired zones and I have many times found bad modules.

If you know where the zone valve is that is not working, the tool above by LRC3 will work. Put the toner on the wire wires at the valve. At the control box with all of the connections, use the receiver to detect the tone. If you want a better tools that is bullet proof and has been made for over 40 years, this is the one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Standard-701K-G-Tone-and-Probe-Kit-701K-G/203495654. It much more costly bt it the the model telephone worker have used forever.

It will pick up the tone with wires in walls. At the church rectory we did not know where the switches were for two outside flood lights. With no power at the 120v wires, it put the toner on it and inside the home with the probe at full volume I ran it at the ceiling. It took only few minutes to find both switches in the most unexpected locations. If you maintain properties you'll find this tool very valuable for that one time a year need.

Hey THANKS! I tried the harbor freight that worked also but with one of the heads that was far away from the control box the tone was weak, went to Home Depot and found one like the one you suggest. It worked perfect and was about to trace down the last wire.

Thanks for the response was a great help

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Wasn't hired to do the sprinkler system. Was asked to see if I can fix the issue. The company that looked after it really messed things up disconnect heads, cut wires, combined zones low water pressure, Guess for a professional company they messed things up.

I am not a pro that is why it is great to have a forum to find out what is needed to be learned. If you want to help could of asked for more information also.....

I apologize. Your original post wasn't that clear and seemed as though you were hired to maintain the system. I see this all too often. Again I am sorry.

JRC3

Reaction score
Not sure about the Standard probe from HD but the HF probe can be connected to live 120v wire for tracing. That is if you have a need in the future. I bet the better one can be too.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure about the Standard probe from HD but the HF probe can be connected to live 120v wire for tracing. That is if you have a need in the future. I bet the better one can be too.

JRC3....I mentioned that the 120 v's was turned off. No it cannot be use on live 120 volt. However, in telephone work with a "conventional" telephone, that old two wire monster on the wall or desk with a real bell inside of them, the ring voltage is 70-90 volts 20 or 30 HZ and does not damage the 701K tester.

Larrywcc... Just some info. You mention that some zones were cut or combined. Most of the control box modules can only handle the current of one solenoid that is at the valve. Many can run two valves on one connection but it will shorten the life the the controller or zone module. Many commercial grade controllers can detect a bad solenoid should there be a short anywhere in a one and the display will may read the failed zone.

JRC3

Reaction score
JRC3....I mentioned that the 120 v's was turned off. No it cannot be use on live 120 volt.
The HF one does. Or maybe mine is magical. Also, the HD one, I think says it has "
  • Voltage protection into 600): 150 VDC (into 600): battery: 9 VDC (NEDA 1604, JIS 006P, or IEC 6LF61) " whatever that means.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks