Silly question regarding toilet water supply line -- what size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Clyde15

Reaction score
I might need to replace the supply line that goes from my shut off valve to my toilet tank. It's an old connection -- a metal pipe (as opposed to a braided flex hose)
Here is my question -- the nut on the supply line that connects to the shut off takes a 5/8 wrench. If I wanted to buy a braided flex hose - without replacing the current shut off valve--- what size would I buy? I am seeing flex hoses that are 3/8, which would be too small for my shut off. And I see 1/2. But I don't see any 5/8 flex hoses. I would think that if the wrench size on the nut is 5/8, that is what I would be looking for when it comes to these hoses -- but perhaps I am wrong -- and it is the 1/2 that I would buy?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
5/8" is somewhat small for 1/2", but may be 5/16" copper compression, which is rare but available in a flexible hose. You just have to be more diligent to find one.

Bacon

Reaction score
Most supply lines and shutoff valves are 3/8" compression. This refers to the pipe size, not the wrench size of the nut. There are other sizes, but those are not common on fixtures like toilets. However, you said it's old so who knows.

Clyde15

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick responses. I am going to disconnect the existing supply line and compare with what they have in the store. I'll post a follow-up in case someone has similar situation.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Stops come in
3/8" Comp
7/16" Comp
1/2" Comp
1/2" FIP

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks