Symmons / Temptrol valve, Water comes out of tub spigot when shower is on - New diverter did not fix

Users who are viewing this thread

aviator79

Reaction score
I just replaced the diverter valve on one of my shower/tub valves because water comes out of the tub spigot when the shower is on. I noticed there was only one o-ring on the diverter valve as I was putting it in so seemed like water could easily leak but I am not that familiar with the valves. I had previously done the seals on it but did not have to open it back up to do the diverter. I cleaned the inside with 1/2 wire brush but do have very hard water so it is certainly not smooth. What am I missing? I would just replace the valve if it was easy to get to so if I could just get this thing to stop leaking that would be great.

I did move the diverter valve around before putting it back together with the water on and there was no position where the water stopped coming out of the tub spigot. It comes out at a good rate on this tub, maybe 1/16 to 1/8 gallon per minute.

I can get more pics or more info if needed.

I do have very hard water which I am sure it part of the problem. Can it be fixed or is the whole valve shot? No leaks when off. Valve turns easy after I put in new seals a year ago. Just leaks when shower is on as you can see below.

THANKS!

Last edited:

aviator79

Reaction score
2nd pic shower is on.

Attachments

• 1488253087742.jpg
    1488253087742.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,212
  • 1488253154459.jpg
    1488253154459.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 921

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I found this explanation on this link
http://www.symmons.com/~/media/F992BE9CD5B54E05AD19643EFE316E99.ashx

A design function of this valve is to allow a trickle of water from the tub spout when diverter is set for shower position, This trickle of water is necessary to ensure safe operation in that the valve will be shut off at main handle and NOT with diverter handle

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks