Remote cabin water problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Gracies Dad

Reaction score
Recently build a cabin and need advice on how to supply water to cabin. My cabin is 600 ft from a Lodge that has a 280 ft drilled well. The Lodge runs everything off a generator for their power. There are 4 other cabins that share the well also. The Lodge and cabins are not always occupied, so generator is not always running.
I'm planning on hooking into the water line this Summer. It will be a 600 ft line with approximately an 8 ft. rise in height to the cabin. It will only be used in Summer months also. Question is how best to go about this, do I need a pump in the cabin with expansion tank, or storage tank.
Thanks for the help

Reach4

Reaction score
Without power to the pump down the well, your cabin will not get water.

Any solution will involve the well system power, which would imply that something would need to be done to the lodge wiring etc to provide power to the well pump stuff from your generator, or you will have to be able to run the lodge generator.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put tank at end of line from main well...put float valve on incoming line. Put small pump drawing from tank (prefebaly solar powered with battery back up). Big tank fills from 600' line via float when gen is running. Small DC pump keeps pressure tank for cabin full.

Talk to Big Well owners about converting to solar as well.

Gracies Dad

Reaction score
Without power to the pump down the well, your cabin will not get water.

Any solution will involve the well system power, which would imply that something would need to be done to the lodge wiring etc to provide power to the well pump stuff from your generator, or you will have to be able to run the lodge generator.

Gracies Dad

Reaction score
When Lodge pump has power could I have a large pressure tank in my cabin for water storage. I wouldn't be using alot of water. I can always start the generator at the Lodge if needed.

Gracies Dad

Reaction score
Put tank at end of line from main well...put float valve on incoming line. Put small pump drawing from tank (prefebaly solar powered with battery back up). Big tank fills from 600' line via float when gen is running. Small DC pump keeps pressure tank for cabin full.

Talk to Big Well owners about converting to solar as well.

Gracies Dad

Reaction score
Would like to have my own well, the Lodge had to go down 280' to find good water. Not in the budget at this time

Gracies Dad

Reaction score
Thanks, that would work well. I have a 2ft crawl space under the cabin, could fit a good sized storage tank under it. Have been hauling water all Summer, I've learned to conserve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks