Well pressure tank help.

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottS

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having low water pressure in my house. Watched a few videos on Youtube to try and fig out what is going on, as had no idea how my setup even worked. I noticed the pressure gauge on the tanks was not working so i fixed that first. The cut in and out seems to work at 40/60. But 2 things. The 20-gallon pressure tank seems empty. I can shake it easily, it is not very heavy. It also sounds like the water is actually on the top of the tank? When I tap it, it sounds the same from top to bottom. Also, the drawdown time with the tub running is about 50 seconds., until the pump kicks on @ 40 psi. Is the tank working like it should? or is there something wrong? Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that your pressure on the gauge stays between 40 and 60 PSI. If so, it sounds like there is some blockage between the pressure gauge and your tub. Could it be there is a cartridge filter that is clogged up? Is there something else in the path?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 20 gallon tank only holds 5 gallons of water. It should not be heavy. 50 seconds of draw down with a 3 GPM tub faucet turned on. If you are getting 40 to 60 then you are seeing an average of 50 PSI in the house. An average 50 PSI is pretty low as the pressure has to go down to 40 then back up to 60 over and over again. You would be surprised at how much stronger the shower pressure is when the system holds a CONSTANT 50 PSI, as when using a CSV, instead of an average 50 PSI without a CSV. But if 50 PSI constant isn't so strong that you don't need soap in the shower, the pressure switch can be turned up to 50/70 and the CSV can be set to hold a constant 60 PSI. You should never complain about low pressure from your own pump system, because all you have to do is turn up the pressure and make it stay constant to have better pressure than everyone in the city.

ScottS

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Can I add a CSV to my current system or do I need a whole new setup? Also what is the highest PSI I can set the tank to without having to worry about damage to my pipes?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you already have a pressure tank/pressure switch, adding a CSV is all you need. The CSV1A is adjustable between 15 PSI and 150 PSI. So you can have as much pressure as you want, as long as the pump can produce that much pressure. 60/80 with the CSV set for a constant 70 is getting pretty high for house plumbing. But if you have any elevation or an extra story or two it isn't that much pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks