Cycle an idle well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Phil Bradley

Reaction score
I just purchased a vacant lot next to my house/land that already has a 1 year old well with a submersible pump already set up. Since the previous owner was a snow bird living in a travel trailer has moved, the lot will remain empty. At some point I may tie that well to mine for redundancy but in the meantime I'm wondering if I should cycle the pump once in awhile. If so, how often and for how long? One reason I'm asking is because of the electrical service. Our electric company has a minimum $20/mo. charge and the only reason I would need service would be to run the pump if needed. Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
A few times per year should be OK. I have seen pumps that sat for 10+ years that started OK. FYI a 3 wire pump has more starting torque than a 2 wire pump does. If the 3 wire pump were to bind up it might be able to free itself whereas the 2W pump might not.

How far is the well from your breaker box or service entrance? Might want to price the cost of electric wire ran to the well location vs the cost of keeping the meter on at the well. OTOH if you lost power at your house you might would still have water if the well meter still had juice.

As I recall, the min. charge here is about $20-30 per month to keep a meter active with no usage.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It would be good to start the pump once or twice a year if possible. But the well is a pretty good place to store a pump. It is covered in water, stays the same temperature, and is not exposed to air. I have seen pumps sitting in abandoned wells for 20+ years that would start right up.

Phil Bradley

Reaction score
I just purchased a vacant lot next to my house/land that already has a 1 year old well with a submersible pump already set up. Since the previous owner was a snow bird living in a travel trailer has moved, the lot will remain empty. At some point I may tie that well to mine for redundancy but in the meantime I'm wondering if I should cycle the pump once in awhile. If so, how often and for how long? One reason I'm asking is because of the electrical service. Our electric company has a minimum $20/mo. charge and the only reason I would need service would be to run the pump if needed. Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot for the replies. It will definitely help with my decision.

Phil Bradley

Reaction score

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks