Bathroom sink faucets: ceramic cartridge vs. washerless cartridge;PVD nickel vs regular

Users who are viewing this thread

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need some advice regarding bathroom sink faucets. Basically, I would love feedback from you experienced plumbers (and plumbing enthusiasts!) about ceramic cartridges vs. washerless cartridges for lavatory faucets, as well as about PVD nickel finishes (over brass and/or other metals) vs standard nickel over solid brass.

I am replacing the vanities and faucets in our master bathroom on a very tight budget--and I need two widespread faucets-- so I have been shopping on the internet looking for deals (especially on ebay). I like the vintage style of a faucet made by Kingston Brass, but I am also considering one by Glacier Bay and am trying to decide between the two. I find that I really do NOT like any of the lower-priced styles sold by the regular American faucet companies at all.(As a matter of fact, the only styles I seem to like, sold by the big name American faucet companies, are quite astronomically priced, so even if when I find them on ebay they are still too expensive!)

The faucet I like best for price (online) and looks (and generous 6.5" spout reach) is made by Kinston Brass, but this model only comes with a "washerless cartridge" (I believe I read somewhere that it was "Duraseal" brand, if that means anything.) I would have to pay about $100 more, ($50 more each) to get the same style faucets with a ceramic cartridge (sold by one of their "affiliates," Princeton Brass.) Is it worth it to pay that much more for ceramic vs washerless cartridge?
The Kingston Brass/Princeton Brass Faucets are solid brass, but only come with a standard (electroplated?) Nickel finish (not PVD.)

Another option I'm considering, is the Glacier Bay Lyndhurst sold at Home Depot (same as the former Pegasus model), which has a ceramic cartridge and advertises a PVD nickel finish, which I understand is supposedly better than the standard nickel finish. However, it doesn't list "brass" anywhere on the product information, so I assume it doesn't use brass. I'm not sure if a PVD finish is so superior to the standard finish that it is worth it, even if it isn't over brass? (The spout reach on the Lyndhurst is a bit shorter (5.33") than ideal for my particular vanity top and sink, but it will work.)

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Washerless faucets ARE usually ceramic, but there are MANY other styles which are all called "washerless". As my wife told someone when asked how they can fix a washerless faucet, she told them probably change the WASHER, because many while they do NOT have conventional washer, they DO have a rubber washer of some type. I would have a hard time recommending ANY of those brands you seem to like.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"However, it doesn't list "brass" anywhere on the product information, so I assume it doesn't use brass."

Open a box of Glacier's Bay at the store and see if the inside tubes are copper or non-metalic.
HD won't mind.

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
"However, it doesn't list "brass" anywhere on the product information, so I assume it doesn't use brass."

Open a box of Glacier's Bay at the store and see if the inside tubes are copper or non-metalic.
HD won't mind.
This particular model isn't carried in stores. I did post a question about it online, but so far, no answers! Thanks for the tip.

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Washerless faucets ARE usually ceramic, but there are MANY other styles which are all called "washerless". As my wife told someone when asked how they can fix a washerless faucet, she told them probably change the WASHER, because many while they do NOT have conventional washer, they DO have a rubber washer of some type. I would have a hard time recommending ANY of those brands you seem to like.
I actually found the exact part number on their spec sheets. Here is a link, in case any one is curious: http://www.kingstonbrass.com/product_p/kbrp101c.htm It looks like plastic with two rubber washers and a brass stem.

Is it worth it to pay more for a ceramic cartridge?

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
[QUOTE=". I would have a hard time recommending ANY of those brands you seem to like.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you mean, but the standard brand names have either too clunky, too modern, or too short of a spout-reach design in their moderately priced lines. I Hate every single design (and I've been searching obsessively) until we start getting into the upper stratosphere of pricing. (I also need a matching Roman Tub filler, and some of those , in styles I like, are over $1000!!!!) They are pretty much all made in China, so I guess the extra cost must all be going towards advertising and executive salaries.
I found a roman tub filler on ebay that that matches the Kingston Brass one exactly, for only $69! It was a discontinued Huntington Brass model and does have a ceramic cartridge (they all use the same factories in China I learned.) I bought it, and let me tell you, that is one very heavy, solid brass, elegant faucet! It even came in a cloth bag inside the box! I can still return it, if need be, or resell it on ebay. I can't seem to find the Huntington Brass version of that model in a lavatory faucet still available. Oh well. When you have "champagne taste on a beer budget", it takes so much time and detective work to find what you like that you can afford. Sigh....

Anyone want to comment on pvd finishes? Are they that much superior to standard? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those stems are either Delta or a Delta "knockoff". Normally, because of their design, they would be called "washerless", because washerless is ANYTHING that does not use a standard "bibb" washer and a retaining screw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks