Urine Smell and Rusted Flange Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
I noticed a urine smell near my 94 year old father-in-law's toilet. Since I know that neither his eyesight nor his aim are very good anymore, I first thoroughly cleaned the base of the toilet, the floor around it and the caulk between the two. I also slid a small card in a crack in the caulk, and when I withdrew it, it was slightly wet. Finally, I noticed that on one side the washer on the flange bolt was rusted, while on the other side it was not. Can I conclude from this that there is a problem with the wax ring? Is there any other explanation for one side being rusty and the other not? If it's wet under the toilet am I best off resetting it in any case, since if urine seeped underneath from bad aim, how else can I get rid of the smell?

Finally, if I do reset the toilet should I first take off the tank? I've installed several toilets before, but they were always new installs, so first I set the bowl and then installed the tank. How difficult is it to set the toilet with the tank attached?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rusted bolts are probably brass plated, not solid brass. Use only solid brass, just a few pennies more.

Can you assume that the wax bowl is bad? Could be, if it's old or installed incorrectly.

About removing the bowl and tank together:
- If you are comfortable with the weight and if the tank to bowl bolts are doing their job, by all means, keep them together.
- But if they are too heavy, then separate them, and use all new parts. Just remember, sometimes separating them makes the new installation tough in a tight space.

If you remove the toilet, check the closet flange.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you have diagnosed the problem quite well. I would definitely remove the toilet. I would bet the urine smell is coming from under the toilet, not so likely from a leaking wax ring, but from poor aim. You will want to clean the floor under the toilet with bleach, but there may still be a lingering odor. When you replace the toilet, caulk around the base. Some places, like Washington, require the back of the toilet be left open, but I would seal that up too. I next would try to get dad to pee sitting down. There's no law that requires a man to stand just because he can. The best of us can, and do, miss sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SAS

Reaction score
I pulled the toilet, and I still can't say for sure what the problem was. It was at least partly poor aim, but I think there may have been a problem with the wax ring. The flange is about 1/4 inch below the floor, and the ring may not have been thick enough. I say that because the top of the ring didn't seem deformed at all nor was there any wax stuck to the bottom of the toilet. In any case, I used a no wax ring from Korky, which was much easier since lifting the toilet onto the bolts was a bit challenging and with the no wax ring I didn't have to worry if I needed to shift it after first placing it down.

Reach4

Reaction score
If there is any rocking, you can add shims. Then it is good to put some clear acrylic caulk most of the way around the base. Don't use silicone for that purpose.

For caulking, I would use masking tape above and below to control the application. An experienced person can do it great without masking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks