Long wait for hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

dwsir

Reaction score
Please help me to solve this puzzle. I had a Rheem gas water heater with a recirculating system for quick hot water. I never ran recirculating, as just by leaving the shutoff valves in the recirculating loop open, I started getting hot water coming out of the shower heads upstairs in about 15 seconds. (Interestingly, when I closed the shutoff valves, it took longer to get the hot water to arrive.) After 10+ years, I had to replace the old Rheem with a new Rheem bought from Home Depot. The plumber did the replacement, but now running the same way as before, it took over two and a half minutes for the water to get warm. We just couldn't figure out why.
An observation: I ran the recirculating pump, the water did get hot after a minute and a half, which is too long. Also, after recirculating a while, the piping between the pump and the heater felt warm, but that on the other side of the pump remained cold – perhaps this is an indication of the problem?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The newer heaters have an aquastat lower set temperature lower then the older hears because of the Mc Donalds scalding case. Also you mave have to check the impeller of the recirculation pump as they can become ineffective with mineral deposits or the impeller could be warn out in some cases with the palstioc types

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like your old system was able to work by plain convection. It does not take much of a change to then cause that convection loop to stop working. If the plumber moved the checkvalve, it may not be closing properly, and when that happens, and you open a hot valve, it can suck water through both the top (hot) and the bottom (cold, eventually), you'd end up with warm verses hot.

dwsir

Reaction score
Thanks to Sylvan and jadnashua. Jadnashua, the plumber only cut the recirculating piping in one place and reconnected it again, so I don't think he touched the valve directly. I would check with him.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a somewhat similar problem with my recir system. Still had hot water quickly, but not as quickly before. Changed pump innards and that fixed the problem. I run my system 24/7, had done so for about 8 years so not such a surprise to need a new pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks