Pressure switch question

Users who are viewing this thread

cichyb

Reaction score
With. 1 hp pump 380 foot 3 wire 12 gpm and an air-retainer pressure tank at 65 gallon max working 100 psi; what pressure switch is preferred. I have 30/50 on there but would the 40/60 work less on the pump? I know I would get more pressure but would it be beneficial overall?

Reach4

Reaction score
If the pump can build pressure at a good rate as it approaches 60, then 40/60 would not be worse for the pump. If the fill rate slows a lot as it approaches 60, you would not want that. The thing you would want to avoid is the pump not being able to get to 60 if things change a bit. I don't know how to quantify, but how about cranking up the precharge to 43 and setting your new 40/60 switch (clockwise on nut on big spring) up to 45/65. If the pump turns off in a reasonable time, back down to 40/6o, and set the precharge to 38.

If it takes 5 minutes to hit 60, back the switch off to maybe 35/55. Whatever you adjust to, adjust the precharge. It is better to have the precharge high during these operations than to have it low, because that will minimize stretching out the diaphragm.
Turn the range nut [on big spring] clockwise to increase the cut-in pressure and
counter-clockwise to lower the cut-in pressure. Three and a half
revolutions of the range nut will change both the cut-in and
cut-out settings by approximately 10 psi.
I am not a pro.

Edit: I would start by turning up your existing switch. Buy a new one if you want to go farther than it will adjust to.

Last edited:

cichyb

Reaction score
How long from 40 to 60 should it take on the gauge till it cuts off . I believe it took mine like 90 secs

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok I didn't it again with a time clock its was 1 minute 15 secs
Still very good. Your pressure tank, with a precharge of 38, will have an effective drawdown of about 16 gallons. You have a nominal 12 GPM pump. Your pump is definitely not under-powered for your water level and running 40/60 PSI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks