Double vanity plubing on cantilever and outside wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Renonewbie101

Reaction score
Good afternoon. I want to rough in a double vanity in my ensuite and need your help. The vanity is located on a cantilevered portion of the house and along an exterior wall. I have built a pony wall on the left side of vanity to allow for a drain to run within the warm space of the house without having to go through the cantilevered portion below. Also an interior wall to the right of the vanity has a vent that runs to the attic. I found this picture on the forum (very helpful) but had a few remaining questions. As i am backed onto an exterior wall can i reduce the height of this vent to fit inside the vanity space (simliar to a loop vent) and run it from the right about 8 ft to where the drain location is on the left of the vanity, so i can avoid running it through exterior wall behind (as we are in cold climate). I would like to keep all drains and vents within vanity if possible . Thanks for the input

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170224-143659.jpg
    Screenshot_20170224-143659.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a question for your building department, especially since there is NO REASON the drain and vent CANNOT be run inside the wall, regardless of the temperature.

Renonewbie101

Reaction score
Being in a cold climate i had just kindof assumed that plumbing wasnt allowed in insulated exterior walls. Good to know its an option. Currently the wall is insulated and finish drywalled (as our bathroom layout has changed a few times) . Do you see any ways i could make this work inside the vanity utilizing a drain on the left side and vent on the right, versus tearing into the finished wall. My plan would be to copy the picture with the exception of lowering the vent to just below countertop height inside vanity and mimic the plumbing layout but within the vanity. Thanks HJ

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only way it would ever be allowed is if it did NOT connect to an existing vent lower than 42" above the floor, and even then the inspector would have to decide whether he would accept it or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks