Sidewall vent - distance from window/door

Users who are viewing this thread

miketp

Reaction score
Why do direct vent installations only require 1' clearance from doors/windows while other installs require 4'? Is 1' really safe enough given the carbon monoxide being output?

I have a Lochinvar KBN151 boiler with a direct sidewall vent. It's installed close to a door but more than 12" which matches the mfr's instructions ("No closer than 12 inches below or horizontally from any door or window or any other gravity air inlet."). However, depending on the direction of the wind, I can definitely see the gases coming toward the door (albeit not entering and none of my CO detectors have gone off), so I'm wondering why they think 12" is enough.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do you think your boiler exhaust has any more CO than, say, that produced by the gas stove burners
installed in tens of millions of homes? And any exhaust from your boiler exhaust vent that happens to
waft into an open window is diluted tremendously by outside air. CO meters are available for only a few
hundred dollars.

According to the website here: http://www.inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Direct_Vent_Chimneys.php

these vent requirements come from the National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks