Well pump replacement and bad advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
A yellow wire tagged with green tape on both ends to indicate ground has been accepted by our local building inspectors.
It seems logical. However http://ecmweb.com/qampa/code-qa-identification-circuit-conductors says
Equipment grounding conductors can be bare, covered, or insulated. Insulated equipment grounding conductors size 6 AWG and smaller must have a continuous outer finish either green or green with one or more yellow stripes [210.5(B), 250.119].​

On equipment grounding conductors 4 AWG and larger, insulation can be permanently re-identified with green marking at the time of installation at every point where the conductor is accessible [250.119(A)].​

I think you should review the NEC code
That is a tough read.

My well people did not use the yellow wire when reinstalling my 2-wire pump, but they did splice the existing red, black and yellow underground feed wires up to the well cap, in case I needed it in the future. I am happy with what they did, and I would be happy with what you do.

I don't know what the grandfather rules would require, but your interpretation makes logical points. Certainly if your inspectors require what you do, that is what you should do. But here they don't look for that.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's the thing, if you do it right no one can question it. If you don't ground and bond it to code and someone gets lit up, you're explaining your actions to a judge or jury. In the long run, 5 minutes and $2.00 in lugs seems cheap.

Would you want this job in your yard?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 174

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
As licensed professionals there are standards we have to meet. I am a licensed electrician, plumber, and well driller in multiple states. I purchase an electrical permit for the pumps I install and my work is inspected by the State electrical inspector. All my work has to meet NEC code.

Even on a forum such as this, I cannot recommend that you do something that does not meet the applicable codes. Whether they be electrical code, plumbing code, or the applicable state well drilling regulations.

A do-it-youselfer can say "yah sure, you betcha", ignore the codes do it however you want, but professionals in the trade should not and really cannot recommend practices that do not meet local regulations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks