Is 1.6 Gallons Enough for a Flush?

Is 1.6 Gallons Per Flush Enough?

• No I always flush more than once with solids.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes I never have problems with clogged lines.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have always complained that I have to flush several times with the 1.6 gallon flushers. I got a new toilet that does really good with one flush. But I have been talking to some plumbers who say I need to keep flushing several times anyway. They say the 1.6 gallons is plenty to flush the toilet, but it won't get the solids to the septic or sewer main. One guy showed me a video of the inside of a sewer line. You could see where the paper and solids just stopped and dried out, then more would accumulate on top until the sewer line was clogged. He said if those people would just flush 3 or 4 times, solids would make it to the sewer main and he wouldn't have to snake or replace the clogged lines.

What say ye experienced plumbers? Is 1.6 gallons enough? Or is this just another water saving feature that doesn't really save water?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The biggest problem tends to be in pipes that do not have the proper pitch - i.e., flat spots, or bellies. It is not uncommon for a single flush to allow the solids to not make it all the way to the end point...subsequent water uses will each move it along. Old CI pipe that is rough inside, poorly reamed joints on plastic, or pipe not fully seated in the fitting all can create a lip or rough surface to slow things down. It might be a more common problem if the toilet is on a branch that is rarely used verses one that ends up being washed by the rest of the dwelling. In that case, greater than 1/4"/foot might be a good idea.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My mother has 1.6 and 1.28 toilets.
Her sewer line is 250 feet long with no problems. She doesn't double flush ever.

What you can't put down any toilet is baby wipes.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I seem to have more problems at my shop, not the house. The shop has several toilets in different locations. Only toilets and hand washing, no showers, washing machines, dish washer. So the lines coming from the toilets don't get much flow other than flushing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks