Cannot tighten cartridge after disassembly

Users who are viewing this thread

Frescard

Reaction score
I just disassembled my faucet (which is pictured below), and I have a hard time putting it back together...
No matter how much I tighten the mounting nut, it always comes loose again once I close the handle. (You turn the handle left to close, but this will loosen the nut.)
Is there some trick to re-assemble faucets like this? (I don't know the model/manufacturer.)
faucet.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Make sure you open the valve before reinstalling.
If the stem is rotated to closed position, you won't be able to spin the nut down all the way.

Frescard

Reaction score
Thanks!
That did the trick! (I had to keep opening the stem while tightening the nut, but I finally got it on for good.)

Frescard

Reaction score
A follow-up on this issue:
After figuring out how to put the thing in and out (thanks to your help), I finally replaced the O-ring, but it's still leaking, just like before.
What else could be causing this, in this type of faucet?

Frescard

Reaction score
Oooohhh, I thought the O-ring was doing the sealing. Since the washer at the bottom was actually a very hard plastic (PVC-like) I didn't expect that to be doing much at all.
But I guess I was wrong... ;) Changed the bottom washer, and everything's fine now!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks