Best way to remove this faucet drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

dan411

Reaction score
Hi All

Wife brought home some new fixtures, thought it would be an easy 1 hour job I've done before until I noticed that the wonderful builders of my tract home not only welded the P traps, but there is what I am assuming is a vent installed in the way as well.

My first thought was to cut out the abs and replace with a slip on P trap, but the drain exit into the wall leaves no room to cut and install a new elbow unless I cut out drywall, then I'm dealing with the p trap offset from the sink drain. Furthermore, that vent connection looks weird to me and not sure how easy it will be to find a replacement 1" to 2" connector?

My second thought now is to hacksaw through the metal drain at the bottom thread near the copper nut, then I can un-thread the copper nut and lift the top piece out, then unthread the 2 metal drain pieces and pull each up/out from the abs below.

Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea or if there is a better way to go about it? New drain just slides down from above sink bowl. Thanks.

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 314

Reach4

Reaction score
there is what I am assuming is a vent installed in the way as well.
That is not a vent. It is probably condensation from an air conditioner condenser or some such.

What is the problem that you have now? Is that chrome tailpiece cocked, or is that just the way it looks in the photo. Your drain control is a problem that you will want to solve.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the picture, it looks like you can cut the metal drain (your second idea), then unscrew the brass nut (top) and the ABS nut (bottom) and replace it with the new drain set (to do that, use your previous knowledge).

No need to mess with the trap or the PVC A/C condensation drain, for right now.

dan411

Reaction score
I ended up cutting it out and was much easier than I originally assumed. Thanks all for replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks