Bathroom plumbing question

Users who are viewing this thread

Buckland

Reaction score
Hi - first post on the forum but have enjoyed reading posts on the site for the past few years. Really appreciate the great forum and all the information.

I'm in the middle (or start) of a bathroom remodel. Tore up the subfloor to reinforce my joists for tile and after seeing the plumbing, wanted to correct any potential issues I may have.

As a bit of background - I've lived here for 2 years and never had an issue with any plumbing clogs/smells/drainage issues etc. House is a single story on crawlspace, was built in 84 and is on septic. After taking a quick glance I figure the shower needs a vent connection added but other than that - what can I do to improve/streamline the current plumbing. Again - never had an issue so I'm a firm believer of the 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it' but if there's a glaring issue I would appreciate being enlightened so I can make things better! Thanks so much for any and all help.

When looking at the pictures - on the other side of the wall with the plumbing is another bathroom. This plumbing is at the far end of the house and is truly the 'end of the line' with the other end terminating at the septic tank.
joist plumbing 2.jpg
framing 4.jpg

The 2nd pic cuts off at the right but the only part not shown is the sink trap....

Thanks!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you upload a picture of the drain near the block wall (I assume it's for a tub or shower).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv-buckland.jpg

There are a couple of ways. Here the shower wyes off with a 3x2 wye, gets vented at the wall and revents to the 3".
The lav comes off the 3" vent. The santee for the toilet becomes a combo fitting, not a santee.
Because the lav is kind of far away, it gets a vent within 42" of the p-trap and revents to the main vent.
You could also wye off similar to where the shower wye is and come at it from that direction.

Buckland

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. That definitely helps me out. I need to take a look at the other bathroom plumbing/venting and map everything out. Once I do that I'll post up my final gameplan and make sure it's ok.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv-buckland2.jpg

This one will be easier for you. Only two holes to drill.
The bottom of the lav goes back to the 3" line on the other side, and the shower on the left is run off of the 3".

Buckland

Reaction score
Terry - thank you for the options! I am thinking of moving the vent stack to the right so that it's spaced in the same joist opening as the toilet. This would allow me to tuck the plumbing for the toilet and vent connection in between the joists. As you can see in the picture in my first post, the drain goes UNDER the joists. My original plan was to place a support beam under the joists directly below the 2x6 wall that houses the plumbing to shorten my joist span to achieve proper deflection rating for the bathroom tile.

I've edited your sketch to illustrate what I'm proposing. I think it will work but just wanted to ensure that it was a viable option.

If I moved the vent stack (it's a 3" pipe) I could just angle it with 2 - 45 elbows in the attic to mate it back up with the original roof vent.
plumbing options.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks