Chipped shower tile....what to do help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

clay0860

Reaction score
I need some help guys with my first time tiling a shower. I'm about 5 rows up on the wall now, but when I removed the spacers I accidentally chipped a tile. The tile is in corner and the top of the bottom tile and bottom of the second tile. The chip is more of a shaving off the tile so it doesn't appear that it would cause water to get behind the tile, but it looks bad. What are my options? I've attached a picture of the chip and the tile has been set for about 48 hours. Behind the tile is hardieboard and red guard.

Thanks,
Ned

Attachments

• IMG_8518.JPG
    IMG_8518.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 224

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The longer you wait, the harder it will be to remove the tile. Take a chisel, smack the middle of the tile and start to break it out of there. Don't try to pry from an edge as you'll likely break adjacent ones as well. You'll likely need to recoat things with Redgard.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling things.

clay0860

Reaction score
The longer you wait, the harder it will be to remove the tile. Take a chisel, smack the middle of the tile and start to break it out of there. Don't try to pry from an edge as you'll likely break adjacent ones as well. You'll likely need to recoat things with Redgard.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling things.
What is the harm in leaving it besides the look? Since it is more surface chip will it cause any problems? I'm afraid if I take it off I'm going to mess things up even more

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly built shower should be not harmed by water even prior to the application of tile, grout, or caulk. The hassle with a chip like that is that it will bug you forever, but it won't, or shouldn't, cause other issues. This assumes that you've built the rest of the shower according to industry standards, which we have no way of telling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks