Katalox Light regeneration using Chlorine solution

Users who are viewing this thread

drate

Reaction score
Hello all

Currently Im regenerating my KL media with 3% H202 solution. It does the job, but it is quite expensive, every 6 days it takes 2 gallons of 3% H202. I was wondering if I can replace H202 with Chlorine.

Does anybody know if Chlorine is effective and safe with Katalox? What % of Chlorine solution and volume?

thx

Reach4

Reaction score
I use 1 gallon of chlorine bleach, and top off the 15 gallon tank with water, for 12 regenerations (every 3rd day) on 1.5 cubic ft of Centaur Carbon. I suspect that a similar dose would be reasonable. 5.5% would be enough, although I use a little stronger, since that is what is in the store.

Most people don't use any regenerate for their KL, as far as I know.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Way too much!!!

Dilute 7% H2o2 30:1 with clean water

Typical regen process is
5-10 min backwash
3-5 minutes draw
5-10 minutes fast rinse
1 minute refill (to purge the oxidant from the brine system)

This should reduce your h2o2 to a gallon a month. Adjust up if needed. Do not use a second backwash.

drate

Reaction score
Way too much!!!

Dilute 7% H2o2 30:1 with clean water

Typical regen process is
5-10 min backwash
3-5 minutes draw
5-10 minutes fast rinse
1 minute refill (to purge the oxidant from the brine system)

This should reduce your h2o2 to a gallon a month. Adjust up if needed. Do not use a second backwash.

Thanks. Does it mean the H2O2 solution is a mere 0,23% ? Dont you think it could be too weak to sanitize (morover, solution thins during draw - it gets mixed with water in tank)?

drate

Reaction score
I use 1 gallon of chlorine bleach, and top off the 15 gallon tank with water, for 12 regenerations (every 3rd day) on 1.5 cubic ft of Centaur Carbon. I suspect that a similar dose would be reasonable. 5.5% would be enough, although I use a little stronger, since that is what is in the store.

Most people don't use any regenerate for their KL, as far as I know.

thanks. Does it mean your final chlorine solution is at 5,5% ? Do you think it would be also fine for KL media ?

ditttohead

Reaction score
You need to do the ppm calcs.

7% h2o2 is 70,000 ppm. Dilute 1 gallon by 30 gallons of water and you are still in excess of 2,000 ppm. The dilution of injection is approximately 50%, and you are still at 1000 ppm. Obviously these ath calculations are not exact, just a simplified example to show that you are still at a very high solution of h202.
The same math applies with chlorine except you start with 55,000 ppm.

drate

Reaction score
You need to do the ppm calcs.

7% h2o2 is 70,000 ppm. Dilute 1 gallon by 30 gallons of water and you are still in excess of 2,000 ppm. The dilution of injection is approximately 50%, and you are still at 1000 ppm. Obviously these ath calculations are not exact, just a simplified example to show that you are still at a very high solution of h202.
The same math applies with chlorine except you start with 55,000 ppm.
Thank You again for your valuable information. Do you recommend H2O2 or Chlorine for KL media regeneration?

Reach4

Reaction score
thanks. Does it mean your final chlorine solution is at 5,5% ?
I think it would be at 5.5*/15= 0.367% or 8.5%/15= 0.567%.... but final? The injector mixes water into the solution during the injection, so that number gets cut further.

I did not compute the numbers.
Do you think it would be also fine for KL media
I don't know. My feeling is that the concentration is not critical, but I also feel they would be similar. I would prefer something more rigorous, of course.

Below is a snip from a Katalox Light brochure. I don't know if that is still available on the Internet. I interpret "KMnO4/Cl " to mean potassium permanganate or chlorine. Note that it says " Regeneration / Dosing". How would you interpret that? For dosing, it is easy to interpret I think. For regeneration, how do I use the numbers??? One interpretation is to dose with the calculated amount for the sum total of the contaminates that the filter has dealt with since the last regen. By that interpretation, the total chlorine (etc) use would be the same whether I inject continuously or use the chlorine during regeneration. Is that a good interpretation? I don't know. I feel uneasy with that. As we know, many people don't use regeneraton or dosing, and do fine with just the dissolved oxygen. But I remember seeing something about IRB being a problem. I have to think that IRB would be very common in wells with iron. How long does well sanitizing keep IRB away? I don't know. But I feel better with a bacteria-killing chemical during backwash or operation. I understand that feel is not the best way to operate.

I will let you run the numbers, and please post what you come up with. Don't take this post to be a recommendation. I am not a pro. I am saying what I would be thinking about if I went to a KL system. My Centaur Carbon -based system handles my Fe and H2S nicely, so far.

img_1.png

Last edited:

drate

Reaction score
I think it would be at 5.5*/15= 0.367% or 8.5%/15= 0.567%.... but final? The injector mixes water into the solution during the injection, so that number gets cut further.

I did not compute the numbers.

I don't know. My feeling is that the concentration is not critical, but I also feel they would be similar. I would prefer something more rigorous, of course.

Below is a snip from a Katalox Light brochure. I don't know if that is still available on the Internet. I interpret "KMnO4/Cl " to mean potassium permanganate or chlorine. Note that it says " Regeneration / Dosing". How would you interpret that? For dosing, it is easy to interpret I think. For regeneration, how do I use the numbers??? One interpretation is to dose with the calculated amount for the sum total of the contaminates that the filter has dealt with since the last regen. By that interpretation, the total chlorine (etc) use would be the same whether I inject continuously or use the chlorine during regeneration. Is that a good interpretation? I don't know. I feel uneasy with that. As we know, many people don't use regeneraton or dosing, and do fine with just the dissolved oxygen. But I remember seeing something about IRB being a problem. I have to think that IRB would be very common in wells with iron. How long does well sanitizing keep IRB away? I don't know. But I feel better with a bacteria-killing chemical during backwash or operation. I understand that feel is not the best way to operate.

I will let you run the numbers, and please post what you come up with. Don't take this post to be a recommendation. I am not a pro. I am saying what I would be thinking about if I went to a KL system. My Centaur Carbon -based system handles my Fe and H2S nicely, so far.

View attachment 38418
Thanks for exhaustive reply. My water is having H2S problem - Im going to experiment with both solutions i.e. H2O2 & Chlorine. I have 2 cuft of KL media in 12x52 tank, followed by 1 cuft of activated carbon. I also use air injection at pressure tank level (compressor) .

The 12x52 tank is semi-transparrent and Ive noticed some strange particles "flying" around in the water (the upper part of tank).

ditttohead

Reaction score
H2s can be difficult to remove sometimes. Do you have a test port immediately after the KL and GAC tanks? If not try to add them. It is not uncommon for the equipment to do a great job of reducing the H2S to acceptable levels but the growth in the pipe simply reintroduces it after the equipment.

I prefer h2o2, but considering the extreme complexity of water, sometime h2o2 works better, sometimes chlorine does. Try them both.

You may want to consider a h2o2 injection system ahead of the KL tank instead of regen. This is a little more complex but also more consistent and likely to work.

drate

Reaction score
H2s can be difficult to remove sometimes. Do you have a test port immediately after the KL and GAC tanks? If not try to add them. It is not uncommon for the equipment to do a great job of reducing the H2S to acceptable levels but the growth in the pipe simply reintroduces it after the equipment.

I prefer h2o2, but considering the extreme complexity of water, sometime h2o2 works better, sometimes chlorine does. Try them both.

You may want to consider a h2o2 injection system ahead of the KL tank instead of regen. This is a little more complex but also more consistent and likely to work.

This is exactly my problem. Seems the KL+carbon does the job of removing bad smell, but it looks like SRB is being reborn in the pipes - in the morning when I open the cold water tap, there is a noticable h2s smell, buit it's gone as soon treated water comes in. (aprox 1/2 gallon and it is gone).

Reach4

Reaction score
It could be SRB reducing the sulfate. I would sanitize my well and plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks