Back to back wall hung toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

lil123

Reaction score
Hi. I will be remodeling one bathroom into two, and i will need to run plumbing through the newly built wall, and connect it to the existing stack. There will be 1 toilet 1 sink and 1 shower/bathtub on each side of the wall. What is the minimum thickness of the wall that I need to have? Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In-wall tank carriers either fit in a 2x4 wall or a 2x6 wall. Most that I've seen are for the 2x6.
So back to back would be two 2x6 walls.

geberit_carrier_1.jpg

They also make wall hung toilets with tanks that use a carrier.
Those require a 2x8

lil123

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick response, Terry. Please see the image attached - we cannot run pipes through the floor, all pipes will go into the new wall, connecting it to the existing stack. Is this correct that the thickness of the wall should be no less than 8", or are there additional requirements? Thanks so much again, it's so helpful!!!

Attachments

• sTACK.png
    sTACK.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 419

lil123

Reaction score
Thanks so much Terry. So glad I found this forum. Thanks for quick responses.

GTChick

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

Great resource you have here! Thanks so much. We are in a home in north central Idaho, built in 1973. We have all AS bath fixtures, in three colors. :) Rather than replace them, we're trying to work them into our remodeling plans. Two of the toilets are Glenwalls, hung back to back. They are located on the second floor and share the wall plumbing with the third toilet which is downstairs (a floor mount, Cadet I think).

Anyway, regarding the wall hung shared carrier...nothing leaks, and after some minor repairs, the toilets both work perfectly. The only issue is that they are a tiny bit loose. So, when you sit down, it moves just a bit. If you are already sitting, and someone sits on the other one, you feel your seat move. My husband and I think it's kind of funny, but it might not be funny to a guest. haha We are also worried that eventually, this might cause a bigger issue.

Two plumbers, one a friend and one hired, said the units shouldn't move, but they had no experience with the wall mount variety and didn't have much advice. We hesitate to remove them and/or make a clumsy attempt at tightening them, for fear of causing more problems. I didn't even remove the tank when I was removing wallpaper behind one of them, for fear of what might happen. Any suggestions?

Thanks much,
Shelly

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You cannot tighten them without opening the wall and checking how they are secured to the wall structure. IF the wall itself is what is moving, then there is no way to make them NOT "wiggle".

Reach4

Reaction score
If you tape a mirror to the wall at , you can point a shining laser pointer, on a fixed mount, to the mirror. Then see if the reflected spot on the opposite wall moves. If the spot moves, the wall is flexing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's pretty common with back to back wall hung toilets. The carrier bolts to the wood, and then the wood dries out and becomes smaller and thinner. The holes may even be a little larger than the bolts that go through the holes. There is some slop there. I have seen some people support the bowl to the floor. They even make a part for that.

GTChick

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll try the mirror trick. Sounds like I don't need to worry.

I've decided to just keep the green one and work around it. However, we want to remove the blue tub and put in a shower, so I'm searching for an old toilet. I don't want to get a new one, due to the expense and the poor reviews it gets.

I've found a wall hung "Standard" (in the gothic font) toilet locally. I'll have to go back and figure out which tank goes to it, but I've determined that the bolt hole pattern matches our version. Ours is from 1972-73. I'm not sure if the tank lid having "C72" on it refers to the year, but I know the house was built in '73. Anyway, will any toilet that fits that bolt pattern work in our house? Also, I assume it's essential to get the right tank for the toilet. There was one there that the guy thought was the matching one, but I looked at the numbers on it and it said it was for a Cadet. I have searched the net until I'm blind looking for info for this and I've had very little success. Thanks for your help, I'm at my wits end.

On a positive note, I went to my local Habitat store and found a sink to match my green toilet...it had been dropped off 30 minutes before I went in. Yay! ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks