Bathroom sink drain gurgles going down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Melvo

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a bathroom sink that water gurgles when going down and it's annoying. I looked under the house and looks like the vent pipe is too far away from where the sink drain is. Anyway, I drew a picture.

I was wondering if I added a vent pipe (red ink pen) if it would help. The pipes are old cast iron, house built in 1929.

Any help and advise would be nice. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 308

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
When you need to repipe the house, then you can have it done correctly. The vent needs to be above the trap, so for the time being, you would be better off installing an AAV.

Attachments

• p_SCP_214_03.jpg
    p_SCP_214_03.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 400

Melvo

Reaction score
When you need to repipe the house, then you can have it done correctly. The vent needs to be above the trap, so for the time being, you would be better off installing an AAV.
Any recommendations on the avv? I heard some leak the sewage smell

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because all AAV's use a flexible rubber seal, eventually they will fail. If it is too low, and waste can get to it, it can get contaminated and not seal. An atmospheric vent is always preferable. When working properly, they do not smell.

Also note, on a drain that works really well, it can make some sounds that are not a system fault...it's just that the water moves so fast, it can pull some air through. The vent needs to break the suction, so when the flow stops, it doesn't siphon the trap out.

Melvo

Reaction score
Old house so single wall. Everything is pretty much original to when built almost 100 years ago. I wish they had the codes they have now for plumbing and electrical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melvo

Reaction score
Thanks all. Will probably go with a avv. Hope it will remedy the gurgling and last a while.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks