Advice for replacing a water softener for iron removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Charles Beyer

Reaction score
Brief: Does anyone know of a solution for installing an air injection iron filter that uses a different water source during the regeneration cycle?

Details: I have an existing well system that's setup as follows:
well pump ->
2x spin down sediment filters ->
mascontrol pump controller ->
whirlpool salt-based water softener ->
solenoid valve ->
1000 gallon storage tank ->
booster pump ->
2x pressure tanks ->
household

The well pump is turned on when the storage tank drops to 800 gallons, or the mascontrol detects low pressure.
The well pump is turned off when the storage tank hits 1000 gallons or the mascontrol detects no water flow.

Problem 1: The mascontrol device, whose primary purpose is to turn the pump on during the water softener recharge cycle, is flaky. Rather than replace the circuit board again, I'd like to remove it from the system.
Problem 2: I don't think it's a great idea to have the well pump on for 2 hours just to regenerate the water softener.
Problem 3: From reading about best practices, it doesn't sound like a water softener is the best solution to remove iron. Especially in the current configuration where recharge cycle is driven by the well pump.

A water test kit gave me these readings: Iron 0.7 ppm, Alkaline 80 ppm, Hardness 75 ppm, pH 8.5, Copper 0-1.3 ppm

Proposed Solution: Replace the water softener and mascontrol with an air injection iron filter that uses the pressurized water for regeneration. Unfortunately I haven't found a model that supports this and the vendors I've contacted haven't been helpful. They told me I need to install it after the pressure tanks. I'd rather not do this however because I don't want iron residue to build up in the 1000 gallon storage tank. I can tell by the stains on the sediment filters that it would be considerable. Also, while it would be relatively easy to get pressurized water, it would be a great deal more plumbing work in the well house to insert a filter between the pressure tanks and the household.

Any advice? Seems like this would be a common problem for people with a well and storage tank, but I haven't found any solutions in my searches. Thanks!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Common, not difficult to do.A lot more information is needed though. Also the parts you would be needing are much more complex than you would be able to buy from an online reseller. I sent you a pm. I can guide you in the right direction but it uses parts that are typically not available for sale online. I know of several companies that would be able to assist you. You could do it with off the shelf parts that are available from online companies but the parts would be of questionable quality and the complexity would be greatly increased.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks