Users who are viewing this thread

Todd F

Reaction score
I have connected 1 orbit 4 Zone Timer to my hose bib so that the timer is of course downstream.

Plumbing code states as follows... "A shutoff valve should never be placed downstream of any AVB, as this would result in continuous pressure on the AVB"

I have also come to learn that hose bibs (shockingly) are not designed is be left turned on/open and therefore exposed to continuous pressure for more than 12 hours.

That said I have the following questions:

1) Is the anti-siphon valve in my woodford frost proof hose bib/sillcock an AVB which then automatically creates a code violation if I connect my timer beneath it?

2) Is there still technically "continuous pressure" in my hose bib even when the feed to the hose bib is turned off from my garage because my timer is screwed on beneath the hose bib and water can't escape?

3) Since I only water between 5am- 7am - - if I were to manually (or find an automated way to) turn off the ball valve in my garage that feeds the hose bib from 8am - 9pm (13 hours) - - am I technically in compliance because water is only flowing to my hose bib for 11 continuous hours?

4) What if I ALSO connected screw-on vacuum breakers underneath each of the 4 zones of my timer? Wouldn't that be effectively providing DOUBLE backflow protection from below AND above from what's built into the hose bib?

Bottom Line - Am I simply "SOL" when it comes to connecting a timer to a hose bib?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Best,
...Todd

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is a private home I think it would be fine. There are no backflow police for private homes unless it is being inspected for some reason. If the vacuum breaker gets damaged, they are easily replaced. They sell repair kits for Woodford at Lowes. If you are determined to make it meet the NC plumbing code that is easy enough.

Which woodford valve do you have?

Todd F

Reaction score
If it is a private home I think it would be fine. There are no backflow police for private homes unless it is being inspected for some reason. If the vacuum breaker gets damaged, they are easily replaced. They sell repair kits for Woodford at Lowes. If you are determined to make it meet the NC plumbing code that is easy enough.

I have a woodford 17PX-14-MH and unfortunately the City of Durham is after me and a bunch of my neighbors.
Is there such a thing as a hose bib for continuous use?
Thanks,
...Todd

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

Suppose there is a back flow condition do you really want to say "cop didn't see it so I didn't do it"?

That sir is a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.

In civilized countries there are plumbing codes for a very valid reason not just jobs that are inspected

Plumbers protect the health of the nation and prevention rather then seeking a cure

Todd F

Reaction score
Suppose there is a back flow condition do you really want to say "cop didn't see it so I didn't do it"?

That sir is a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.

In civilized countries there are plumbing codes for a very valid reason not just jobs that are inspected

Plumbers protect the health of the nation and prevention rather then seeking a cure
I couldn't agree more!!!
The last thing I ever want is to create a potential water contamination opportunity.
All the City has said is that you can't have a valve downstream of an AVB.
I guess what I'm wondering is...
If having a valve downstream of an AVB effectively disables that AVB that's built into the hose bib because it's under continuous pressure, CAN I ADD AN ADDITIONAL AVB OR CHECK VALVE etc UNDER MY TIMER to then provide effective backflow protection?
I simply don't know what I don't know.
Thanks again for your advice.
Best ...Todd

Todd F

Reaction score
What specifications did the city give you for a vacuum breaker/backflow preventer?

https://durhamnc.gov/952/Backflow-Prevention
I've got a 4 zone timer on a hose bib and black drip tubing to feed an above ground Melnor turbo rotary sprinkler on a metal stake and Antelco A20205 mini-sprinklers on raised above ground vertical stakes. I've simply covered my black tubing with mulch so it looks neater. The City of Durham is insisting that my system is now underground and requires a separate water meter ($2,600) and RPZ.
I've got a simple hose setup that I installed in 3 hours with no digging and they are insisting that it's the same as a full blown underground system that takes days to install.
It's like saying that a 3 lb house cat and a 1,200 lion are the same because they are both technically cats.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks