Standpipe/p trap in crawlspace

Users who are viewing this thread

EIR

Reaction score
It doesn't seem like great common sense but could someone site the code section allowing or prohibiting a properly installed and vented p trap/stand pipe in the crawlspace?

It will be the low point if the main backs up but is a floor drain in a basement not the same situation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

UPC Plumbing Code

A standpipe that is too long can siphon.

EIR

Reaction score
Specifically, a standpipe for use in the crawlspace, not for use on the floor above. Sorry I wasn't specific.

To be more specific, Id like to drain my backwash from my back washing filters to a dedicated stand pipe in the crawlspace. The units will be located there. The stand pipe will be the highest drain on the vertical soil stack if it matters (no other drain higher than it..thus all vent above it...all other drains tied in below it)

The only other real option is to plumb a drain over an unconditioned closet off the back of the home. It's where the old water heater used to reside.

Since I'm located in the Northeast I don't think that's such a swell design either.

This closet is also on grade compared with the rest of the home so the drain itself still wouldn't be much higher than it would be in the crawl and would still be the lowest drain opening.

804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

UPC Plumbing Code

A standpipe that is too long can siphon.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could route the drain line through the floor above to a laundry tub or a standpipe up there.

EIR

Reaction score
Ive decided to plumb a drain into the currently unheated mechanical room (house is on a block crawlspace whose mudsill is 12" above grade.. The old mechanical room is essentially on grade).

After thinking about it I'll use some no hub cast iron to plumb the stand pipe and possibly a utility sink and heat trace and insulate the drains. I don't feel confident using PVC that the heat trace will work effectively. NJ can get pretty cold (no where near Midwest or Canadian low temps). It's easy to get into the attic to tie the new vent into the main 4" vent stack that penetrates the roof. I had considered using an aav but it's not much more work and a vent to free air is more dependable and may be safer than an aav depending on who you speak with.

I'll pipe the filter discharge lines and utility sink supplies in copper and heat trace/insulate them as well.

Ultimately ID like to properly demo, insulate and finish the old mechanical room and throw a strip of baseboard heat in and install some shelves for storage.

Won't be for a few years until the roof needs replacing and I can demo and remove the old, now unused block chimney which goes through the roof...unless maybe I use it for some sort of wood burning heating. Pellet or wood boiler? I'd be nice to have a back heat soure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks