Hi Everybody....Quick Question on Code For Old Cast Iron Waste Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Ralph Rago

Reaction score
So...my house was built in 1967...and at that time it met the standards and codes for building in unincorporated cook county. But today (2017) an inspector noticed a small back pitch in the cast iron waste line going out to the septic tank..(the back pitch is in a 30"section of the 4" pipe)...but the house seems structural fine (no leaks or smell)... when i sell, would the new owner be required to get that up to today's code? Should a good plumber recommend leaving it good enough alone or risk repair the back pitch (which could break the existing pipe(s)..and cause much chaos)?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"codes" NEVER allowed backpitch, so if it really does have backpitch, it could NOT have met any codes when it was installed. However, if it was correct when installed, then it should be able to be repaired without any "chaos".

Laura Dencer

Reaction score
Chicago plumbing code: Is it true that if you have a PVC sewer waste pipe under your floor, you can't just leave it there and install an overhead PVC sewer drain to meet code? I was told by a plumber that even if I have an overhead waste sewer pipe installed to replace the underground PVC, I must remove all the PVC in the floor even though it's cemented in and no one can access it without digging up the cement?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was told by a plumber that even if I have an overhead waste sewer pipe installed to replace the underground PVC, I must remove all the PVC in the floor even though it's cemented in and no one can access it without digging up the cement?

That seems strange. I have pulled out old cast that was badly rusted through. Anyone from Chicago on here that would know that answer?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks