Anyone using the Basement Watchdog Big Dog?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Doing a search on the forum, I notice several people recommended the Basement Watchdog Big Dog. When I look at the unit online, the review are mixed. I am most concern with the following youtube video:

It indicated that the Big Dog only pumped out 16 gpm with a 10 feet head, which is 1/2 the rated capacity. Owners of this system, do you notice that it doesn't pump as advertised? Did you encountered any problems with the unit?

Paul

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I haven't used or heard of it.
But I'm skeptical of anything claimed on the internet. Any customer review provided on the internet has a 50% chance that its fake. If it were me I would just go with one of the "brand name pumps" then, IMO, you have a better chance of getting a good product and repair parts later (if ever needed many years later).

Paulsiu

Reaction score
After further research, I found two different source that indicate the Big Dog pumps at half of the rated capacity. Since this is actually only 1 gpm higher than the Zoeller 507, it's not worth replacing the Zoeller with the big dog.

Paul

Reaction score
Paul,

I would be interested in reading those sources as I am also researching back-up systems. Could you please provide links?

Thanks

cdubs

Reaction score
I installed the Basement Watchdog Big Dog in my basement about 5 years ago. The battery just died and needs to be replaced, but other than routine maintenance(adding distilled water) the pump and backup feature have performed flawlessly.

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Here's the info I got, one of the link is already on the first post:

Youtube Video testing the pumping:

Sumpdata, which no longer appear to exists, indicated that Zoeller tend to be accurate with their ratings. As a control, I tried a similar test on my current setup where I dumped measure amount of water into the pit until it triggers and then measure the time it takes to pump out. All are using a 10 foot head.

Primary: Hydromatic DA-1 25 GPM
Backup: Zoeller 507 15 gpm

While Zoeller did match his rated capacity, the Hydromatic was below capacity. I notice the following video:

I had initially thought that the Hydromatic below rate capacity was due to age. Now, I am thinking that it was like that to begin with. I am sure that the Big Dog will work under normal rain conditions, but I need it when the power goes out in a heavy rain storm after the ground is saturated and then the power goes out.

Paul

Atomic1

Reaction score
There's a big difference between gallons per minute and long-term reliability. If your foundation drain is exceeding the flow rate of the pump, you have bigger problems.

Battery backups are fine for about 5 hours, so they are not a save-all

houndzilla

Reaction score
Have you looked into water powered backup pumps? I know liberty pumps makes one, you need a backflow preventer. Utilized 2 gallons of city water to pump 1 gallon of sump water depending on your PSI. Needs a 3/4" or 1" line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks