Washing Machine with Utility Sink - 1-1/2" Drain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Zhars

Reaction score
I have an existing 1 1/2" copper drain that was used for the original utility sink. The washing machine discharged to the sink. I have recently started renovating the basement and added insulation to the exterior wall and am now about to finish the studs and plumbing. I know that the washing machine standpipe should be minimum 2". However if I install a 2" standpipe w/p-trap, I will not able to reduce to 1 1/2" as I get to the original copper drain in the floor.

Attached (Laundry Plumbing) is a the layout I was going to go with. Also attached (Insulated Wall) shows the 1-1/2" copper drain and next to it is the 3" drain that is from the 2nd floor.

Attachments

• Laundry Plumbing.jpg
    Laundry Plumbing.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,198
  • Insulated Wall.jpg
    Insulated Wall.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 838

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
I have an existing 1 1/2" copper drain that was used for the original utility sink. The washing machine discharged to the sink. I have recently started renovating the basement and added insulation to the exterior wall and am now about to finish the studs and plumbing. I know that the washing machine standpipe should be minimum 2". However if I install a 2" standpipe w/p-trap, I will not able to reduce to 1 1/2" as I get to the original copper drain in the floor.

Attached (Laundry Plumbing) is a the layout I was going to go with. Also attached (Insulated Wall) shows the 1-1/2" copper drain and next to it is the 3" drain that is from the 2nd floor.

First i would like to ask why this was done in PVC? If this is in a house it could have been done in ABS. What type of sink are you putting in? I was told by many inspectors that are former plumbers that if the standpipe is part of the sink drain depending on the size of the sink the standpipe can be 1 1/2" because the sink will act like a reservoir and because you are going into existing its not a big deal to stay 1 1/2 all the way. Unless you want to break up the floor a go 2" all the way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks