1.6 vs 1.28 Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Shaw

Reaction score
I have been considering ordering either the Toto Drake 1.6 flush or the Toto Entrada 1.28 flush.

Both are rated 4 Loves on the web site.

My question is: Would the 1.6 flush clean better than the 1.28 OR either would clean about the same?

As a novice, it seems the more water the cleaner it will be. Am I correct in thinking this?

Last edited:

Jim Shaw

Reaction score
While read this forum, I came across a quote by Terry Love which I think answers my above post question regarding 1.6 flush vs 1.28 flush

"More water always flushes better"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
While read this forum, I came across a quote by Terry Love which I think answers my above post question regarding 1.6 flush vs 1.28 flush

"More water always flushes better"

The II series of TOTO with the smooth bowl finish works very well at 1.28 though. Otherwise, yes, more water always gives a better rinse.
That being said, holding the handle down a moment gives you that too, if it's something that needs doing.

Jim Shaw

Reaction score
Thank you, Terry

This toilet will be in the guest bathroom of which most users will be senior citizens. My guess is "holding the handle down a moment' would never occur to them. Therefor, I need to get a toilet that will have the least problem in the cleaning area without costing a fortune.

That is one reason I was considering the Drake 1.6.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, getting one of the Totos with their super smooth glazing (standard on the II series) does make a difference in how clean things stay, and, if they do get messy, easier to clean up as well. If you have super hard water, any toilet will become harder to keep clean eventually. A good portion of the savings between the 1.6 and 1.28gpf toilets is in calibration of the refill. On many, the water spot is the same, but on some, it ends up either smaller or shallower. You can usually tell (at least on Toto) to see if they use the same bowl, but different tanks on their 1.6 verses 1.28 versions.

Jim Shaw

Reaction score
I really appreciate your input and thought.

Because of Toto's "super smooth glazing", I think my best choice over all for my purpose, even over price, would be a II series.

I will go back and re-read your report on Low-Flow Toilets.

Thanks for your advise and help

TOTOshopper

Reaction score
We have someone in our family who consistently clogs most toilets, even when flushing immediately before adding any paper to the bowl. In fact, that is how they use toilets--flushing twice, once for the "biowaste" and the second time for the paper. But even so, they would clog the toilet most of the time. Unclogging toilets this often is pretty unpleasant, so decided to try to see if we can fine a toilet that worked better and after a LOT of research we chose the Toto Drake 1.6 gallon flush and this worked GREAT! It hardly ever would get clogged. (Sometimes it would still clog but only maybe every other month or so on average.) It was well worth the cost of putting it in.

But we got a new place, and the toilets here clog almost every time that person uses them. So we want to replace them. And the only reason we are replacing them is so that these toilets won't clog. Because the Drake 1.6 gallon flush worked SO WELL, we really want to just go with that again. As I'm sure you can imagine, a new toilet isn't something you can buy to casually "try out" with the intention of just returning it for a full refund if it doesn't work. It has be installed, and once you install a toilet you're pretty much stuck with it--changing it out at that point gets expensive. That's why we want to go with something we KNOW will work.

HOWEVER, we are in California. California requires all toilets to use not more than 1.28 gallons per flush. So the Toto Drake 1.6 gallon flush toilet is banned. Stores won't carry it. Online stores won't ship it to California locations. So the Toto Drake 1.28 is the only one we can purchase here. We are reluctant to buy it because we don't know if it will work. Researching this issue, I found this thread from 8 years ago.

Since this thread first came out is there any better information on how the Drake 1.28 compares with the Drake 1.6 in flushing power? Or is there any other 1.28 gallon flush toilet that works better?

If the Drake 1.6 provides a better flush, then we want to go with that. We can still get Drake 1.6 toilets, but this would require driving to another state. It would take a full day and require an 8 hour drive. But toilets are something that get used every day and we expect that whatever toilets we install, we will be using for a long time. So I'm thinking making the drive may be worth it. But if it turns out that the 1.28 Drakes work just as well, then maybe I should consider going that route?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1.28 and 1.60 TOTO Drake flush almost the same. And if you hold the handle down a moment longer, you can flush with 2.50 gallons.
Their CST775CEFG Drake that came out in 2021 is very nice.

index.php

As far as plugging a toilet once a month, is it an issue with large stools? Normal sizing is 3/4" x 4"
For large stools, I suggest Caroma toilets, they come with a 3" trapway, much larger than a standard 2".
They come as a 1.28 dual flush, and again, if you hold the button down a bit longer, you can flush with 2.50 gallons.

caroma-989900-02.jpg

caroma_305_horn.jpg

Caroma 3" trapway

Peterson

Reaction score
I'd go with Kohler Wellworths. They are pretty much very similar to the Drake and easy to obtain at any big box store. They are 1.28, but work quite well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'd go with Kohler Wellworths. They are pretty much very similar to the Drake and easy to obtain at any big box store. They are 1.28, but work quite well.
So when someone says there is one person in the home that plugs toilets, you recommend a 2" trapway for that person?

Peterson

Reaction score
They said Toto Drakes worked well for them. Drakes and the Wellworth have the same diameter size. Why not?

A Drake is not worth driving 8 hours for.

TOTOshopper

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I had not heard of Caroma toilets before, and it sounds interesting. But based on the initial post here, I gather that with that they don't clog, but that there is more "mess" in the bowl. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-flush-watersense-toilet-review-pictues.7750/

Yes, the problem is big stools, but the Toto Drake 1.6 has been working pretty well. So if our any new toilet works as well as our Toto Drake 1.6, then we'd be happy. Between the Kohler Wellworths 1.28 and the Toto Drake 1.28, which has the better flush.

One thing that does worry me. I understand that holding down the handle longer allows for a 2.46 flush instead of a 1.28 flush with the Toto Drake 1.28. However, looking at our Toto Drake 1.6, it seems that this has a similar feature and so I expect holding down the handle longer allows a 3.2 flush. Since they already hold down the handle, I expect we would be going from 3.2 flush to a 2.46 flush...

Or maybe I should take another look at the Caroma?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a TOTO Drake now, and you like it, then why not get another one?
I normally recommend the Caroma for those that actually "need" a big trapway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks